Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Generally all of the guests we have over to our house are kind and interact well with Misty. However, there are two people (friends of my boyfriends) who just drive me INSANE when they come over.

They will pick her up, twirl her around, hold her upside down and not let her go when she's done playing with them. I've said something politely several times to both of them, but they don't seem to get it. I'm to the point where I'm just not going to have them over anymore. They treat Misty like she is a stuffed animal instead of a living being who deserves respect. It drives me insane. I made a comment the last time they were over. When one of them wouldn't let her come to me (she was trying to leave them and come sit with me--I didn't call her) I just looked at him and said, "Why won't you let her go? That's really mean. She wants to go". Then, the other, who is a female, did the same thing and when she tried calling Misty to her, Misty wouldn't go. She was OH-SO-CONFUSED as to why Misty wouldn't come. I explained to her it was because she basically harassed Misty when she did come to her the first time. And this girl is a groomer at Petco.

It baffles me. I'm just wondering if anyone else with toy breeds (or any other breed, for that matter) has had this happen. I'm not going to allow it any longer.. I've given them several warnings. When and if either of them come over, I'll begin explaining that they will not be welcome if they can't treat my dog like a living creature who is to be respected.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Unfortunately a lot of people don't seem to respect toy dogs as real dogs at all. I've had so many people do stupid things to my dog that I don't think they'd ever have dreamed of trying with my old shepherd. I've found you have to be very firm with them or else people will be stupid. I know their cute but they're still dogs and need to be treated as such.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Eevee's not a toy dog, but when somebody else holds her and won't let her come to me when I call her, she does this crazy flailing/bucking bronco thing and twists out of their hands (or her collar), leaving the person baffled, holding an empty collar LOL.

I'm with you though, if somebody was bullying and teasing one of my dogs (and possibly harming my dog's training that I worked on for weeks, months, or even YEARS), they would not be allowed in my home anymore.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately a lot of people don't seem to respect toy dogs as real dogs at all. I've had so many people do stupid things to my dog that I don't think they'd ever have dreamed of trying with my old shepherd. I've found you have to be very firm with them or else people will be stupid. I know their cute but they're still dogs and need to be treated as such.
It's very frustrating.. And the annoying thing is, Misty is better trained at 8 months than either of their large dogs who are 2 years old. I finally looked at them last night and said, "You're lucky Misty was trained from an early age to be tolerant and accepting. If she wasn't, you'd be bitten by now."

What confuses me is they're the kind of people who do this to dogs, then get mad at the dog when the dog finally bites them.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if that happened to Jonas in his past, because he does not let strangers handle him. Oddly, the only iffy incident with people coming over happened not to the tiny little wiener dog, but to our Elkhound. This guy just kept hugging him. Like, getting down on the ground and holding him in a bear hug for really long amounts of time. I caught him doing it and (not politely, I suppose) explained to him like a 2 year old that that isn't how we pet dogs, and especially not Jack because he had a bad past and was uncomfortable. Caught him doing it a couple minutes later and kicked him to the curb. Not allowed over anymore.

This seems silly, but any one entering our house is explained what is and is not OK with the dogs. We're much more strict than a lot of dog owners we know.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Basil's sort of big to be picked up (17 lbs) so I haven't had him treated like a stuffed animal. However, I have had people PURPOSELY scare him, clapping their hands over his head and stomping their feet at him. Needless to say I was pretty upset.

I don't believe I've had anyone hold him back as I called him, but Sasha, my boyfriend's sister's Australian Shepherd, has been staying over here for the past week or so, (Can't take care of her on her own, so she dumps her off over here :mad:) And she is CONSTANTLY harrassing my dog. He has separation anxiety, so he's always trying to follow me around, but Sasha will always run in front of him and body-block him until he starts getting frantic and barking. She'll also jump on top of him (She weighs easily twice what he weighs, so it probably hurts), mouth his head, and always sticks her face in his and irritates him to the point to where he'll growl and bark at her. Basil is NOT DA at all, but this dog just won't leave him alone. Hell, I get irritated, too! She scratched me in the eye the other day! I really hope her owner (Boyfriend's sister) comes to her senses and gives her away, because I honestly can't see her being in the position to care for this dog anytime in the near or distant future. She just moved out (Both my boyfriend and I live with his mom) and TRIED to take her dog with her, but she has to go to college and work TWO jobs >.< I hope she doesn't turn my sweet, mellow Basil into something bad :mad: At least we're moving in less then five weeks, though!! =D

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
If people don't interact with my dogs in a way the dogs and I feel comfortable with then they are no longer allowed to interact with my dogs. We live with family and at first they were not respecting my rules with my dogs, so I cut them off from interacting with the dogs. The dogs were in our room if we were not home and if I was home they were tethered to me so I could keep an eye on what was happening. The family members got the message that if they wanted to interact with the dogs they had to follow my rules and now they (the people) have been behaving themselves.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
They will pick her up, twirl her around, hold her upside down and not let her go when she's done playing with them. I've said something politely several times to both of them, but they don't seem to get it. I'm to the point where I'm just not going to have them over anymore. They treat Misty like she is a stuffed animal instead of a living being who deserves respect. It drives me insane.
These people wouldn't get past my front door ever again. (Now I'll shut my mouth - remove fingers from keys - because what I'd like to say isn't in the least bit nice!)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I don't have a Toy breed yet but the family had 2 when I was growing up. I don't know whether people were just more considerte back then or if it was because Shimo was such a dominant little dog (Maltese) that he would not have tolerated such rude behavior but no one ever did anything like that to our Toy dogs.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
my problem Is I temd to treat toy dogs like my own dogs. as some of you may know I am watching my friends Aussie and papillon for the next two weeks.

Well I decided to have a nail clipper party so all the aussies had to lie on their back while I held each paw and clipped their nails and they all did fine. then it came to Jazz the papillon, and I tryed to roll her over on her back and she fought very hard to stay upright and then once I had finaly forced her onto her back she just stared at me like I had killed her and wimmpered every time I clipped a nail. I just told her she's going to have to get used to being an aussie for a while. I don't cuddle dogs in my arms to do their nails.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
my problem Is I temd to treat toy dogs like my own dogs. as some of you may know I am watching my friends Aussie and papillon for the next two weeks.

Well I decided to have a nail clipper party so all the aussies had to lie on their back while I held each paw and clipped their nails and they all did fine. then it came to Jazz the papillon, and I tryed to roll her over on her back and she fought very hard to stay upright and then once I had finaly forced her onto her back she just stared at me like I had killed her and wimmpered every time I clipped a nail. I just told her she's going to have to get used to being an aussie for a while. I don't cuddle dogs in my arms to do their nails.
wtf? you forced a dog onto it's back, when it's not even your own dog, simply so you could clip it's nails? Because you're averse to "cuddling"? Yeah, make the nail clipping even more terrifying. Good job.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
wtf? you forced a dog onto it's back, when it's not even your own dog, simply so you could clip it's nails? Because you're averse to "cuddling"? Yeah, make the nail clipping even more terrifying. Good job.
I've known the dog since it was 8 weeks old and have worked with her hundreds of times. I see no problem with it. I've done that with all my other dogs and they've learned to just do it, they get a treat after were done and they wait patiently. I know Jazz will become comfortable with it after a few repititions. She was no more scared than when her owner does her nails.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts