Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three Labradors and live on sandy soil. The dogs have a doggy door. I figure they all go in and out through the doggy door five to ten times a day. When it's hot they lie in holes they dig in moist sandy spots. Each time they come into the house they probably bring in something like teaspoon full of sand each on their paws and coat. That means a cup or two of sand a day that needs to be cleaned up. A particularly annoying fraction of this ends up in my bed. I don't know how it gets through the bedspread, which is quilted and should not be permeable, but it does. I regularly have to sweep out my bed :wink::redface:.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who has to cope with the simple problem of dirt.

And if anyone has any ideas on how to reduce the problem of tracking dirt into the house, I'd love to hear it.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Similar climate, similar problem! The only way I know to stop this is diligence, which means cleaning every time the dogs come in. Yeah! Right!

If you have no fur in your house, then you can also have no sand! :)

Recently, my dirt problem improved - Shep can no longer stand up, or go in/out of the house or car on his own. Because of arthritis, he needs help to stand up, to be partially carried up/down stairs, and completely carried in/out the car. So, except for lots of fur tumbleweeds, my house is mostly dirt free, b/c I can wipe and brush him before taking him inside (four times a day). I can't easily walk him on leash anymore for exercise, b/c he can't wander and hobble that quickly, so it's easier and more pleasant to let him go at his own rate during our walks. He likes his walks, and he seems much less stiff at the end of the walk.

He's 15yo. I'd trade some sand for more mobility :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yeah, I've got the exact same problem... I sweep my bed and couch all the time! I have a horse brush-thing that I use to brush my dog every time we've been out and it is definitely taking the top of it, but it's still a problem.

·
Registered
462 Posts
We don't have sand here but plenty of dirt and mud. I just brush it out before climbing into bed. I would rather have a bit of dirt in the bed and a dog than a pristine house and no dog.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't even have sand nearby, but there's always sand in my bed or my couch or whatever. I consider my dog a very clean gentleman, but it's probably just a dog thing.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Yep, every night and a couple times a day if I'm home a lot that day. Just part of having dogs, in my opinion - it takes a few seconds to brush of the bed and that's that. I use a spare pillow and basically just beat the bed with it and that's the fastest way I've found to get it all off.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Sand is evil stuff - it gets everywhere. I wore a pair of shoes on the boardwalk once and still had sand in them years later.

No sand here, but it's a constant battle to keep crud out of the bed. I haven't found too much that really works. Their feet get wiped off almost every time they come inside and I try to keep them in the kitchen for a short time after coming in, but the bed is still gritty. Vacuuming or frequently changing the sheets would work, but I usually don't think about until I'm ready to be in bed and don't want to do anything then.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Not a problem. Indy sheds off dirt and sand super quick! He'll roll around in the dirt and the next moment he's as white as snow.

...Of course there is fur everywhere and he did throw up in bed last night...

·
Registered
46 Posts
We live at the beach and its just a part of living here, Its everywhere - in the drains, in the cars... etc etc. I just gave up on it.... Shop vac was the best way to stem the tide for me

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have mats inside and outside the door for little stuff but both my dogs have floofy tails that drag twigs and leaves all over the house.

Sassy the tick magnet used to leave ticks in bed for me. Hard to go back to bed after finding one. Real hard.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Nope, I have a furbeast that EVERYTHING sticks to, so I feel your pain. I also mop and sweep every other day and wash my sheets once a week, if he is too nasty I dont let him on haha. I am actually going to start barring him from the bed (with a baby gate to the bedroom) because my allergies are going bonkers with all the dander lmao.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts