Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 109 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
From what my grandmother has mentioned about her dog's parents, all the dogs running around her property are little fluffy mutts. No purebred Bichons or Malteses wandering around for you to identify.

The secret is safe with the past...

But seeing as this "secret recipe" is so important, me thinks a kill-you clause is somewhere in the purchasing contract. Look out for the fluffy little dog assassin with a knife in her paw.
It makes me super curious to go out there but I just don't have the time to even feign interest in some weirdo's secret farm. I'm totally fine without knowing the lineage of a dog but.. I just go get those ones from the shelter. And these "daisy dogs" look like every other scruffy mutt that I see in shelters.

If they're breeding assassins they might be interested in introducing Jonas to their lines.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
It makes me super curious to go out there but I just don't have the time to even feign interest in some weirdo's secret farm. I'm totally fine without knowing the lineage of a dog but.. I just go get those ones from the shelter. And these "daisy dogs" look like every other scruffy mutt that I see in shelters.

If they're breeding assassins they might be interested in introducing Jonas to their lines.
You've got a stud proposition right thur. I call a puppy! I've always wanted a demon assassin*.

But your fluffy shelter dogs didn't come from the big ole mixing bowl concocted in someone's head! Oh wait...

*Bae is only half a demon.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Can't someone just run a DNA test to determine what mix of mutt these guys are? I plan on doing one on my shelter dog- mainly out of curiosity.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Can't someone just run a DNA test to determine what mix of mutt these guys are? I plan on doing one on my shelter dog- mainly out of curiosity.
They are expensive and inaccurate.

Feel free to do it for fun! Its not something you can rely on, however. :)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
A dog does not have to be proven in "anything" to be a very good quality healthy animal.
Yes, you can get a healthy dog of unknown mix, heritage and health clearances from a shelter. Why you'd shell out for a breeder pup without any of the advantages of responsible breeding is beyond me.

My defense is because I do not agree with your opinion.I am not questioning your credentials nor do I care. A personal opinion can be damaging and not very productive and many times misleading.
So your concern here is marketing? I have to agree with TWAB that you're either the breeder herself or really drank the koolaid. Kindof odd you would join the forum *just* to necropost on a thread critical of her breeding practices. If you think untested, unproven dogs of unknown breed mix and unknown lineage is responsible breeding that's your call. If that's the dog you want well that's the dog you can (and did) get.

As for my opinion, everything about those practices screams irresponsible backyard breeder to me. Why on earth would the general public regard her as responsible when she makes every effort to hide her breeding practices? No thanks. There are enough mills, fronts and BYBs hoping you'll just take their word for it. No one advertises their pups as 'Sickly!' 'Not Health - Tested!' 'Unknown mix!' 'Unsound!' 'Unproven!'.

There is a reason we always suggest checking your pup's pedigree, their parents' health clearances, showing for an indication of soundness or type, proven in *some* field. You can't ask for trust and refuse to give it in the same breath. If she posts verifiable, transparent, responsible practices then I would regard her as such.

She doesn't. So I don't.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Does anyone know what kind of dog this might this be? She/he has eyes very like my first dog, now passed away. She was very smart, very lovable. Also a pain in the bottom when she made her mind up about something, bless her heart. I can see her in this dog's eyes.
Looks like a Pom mix to me. Actually he has Pete's face almost exactly, he's a rescue pup but I'm pretty sure he's a Pom/JRT - maybe with some sheltie or Yorkie in there somewhere.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Yep. Like sassafras, I've relaxed my stance on breeding mixes. I think there is actually a shortage of small, low-to-moderately active, low-grooming-needs companion breeds out there (many little dogs are actually rather high-maintenance when it comes to activity or coat care), so if someone wants to breed mixes to fill a niche, more power to them. HOWEVER. I would want all of their dogs to be health tested so that I knew they were free of genetic issues and that they were sound (What is a sound dog?). I would want to know which breeds were used, because that makes a difference when it comes to health and (especially) temperament.

Also, don't kid yourself that this woman is trying to develop a breed. If she were, she would have to have been keeping a stud book from the very beginning. She'd have to disclose her "formula." She'd have to start a breed club, write a standard, ensure that people bred to that standard, and oh yeah -- actually work with other breeders. She'd have to work to get recognized by a legitimate registry like the UKC or the AKC FSS program.

The American Kennel Club considers requests to enter FSS® from breed clubs or individual fanciers of a breed. Those wishing to pursue recording with FSS® must:

Fill out a questionnaire for new breeds. Email: [email protected] for questionnaire.

Provide a written breed history documenting the distinct breed over a period of many decades. This should include details on any foreign and/or domestic organizations that register the breed. The source of the historical information must also be provided.

Provide an official written breed standard, indicating the origin of that standard. If the standard differs from the official breed standard in the breed country of origin please specify those differences.

Provide photographs of the breed, including puppies and adults, as well as both dogs and bitches. If there are different accepted types in the breed, photographs of each type should be included and labeled as such.
I also don't understand the point of keeping the breed mix secret. If I wanted to, I could easily breed mixes that looked like the Daisy dogs and simply claim they were "real" Daisy Dogs, and I'm sure I could fool a lot of people. I wouldn't need to know the actual "recipe." There's more to be gained from transparency than there is from secrecy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had our beloved Daisy dog from Jennifer Peterson for 5 years. She was the heart and soul of our family. When she was five years and one month old, she suddenly became gravely ill. After two visits to our vet in three days with concerns of odd and alarming behaviors, she suddenly could not move her back legs. We rushed her again to the vet who then recommended a neurologist. After a spinal tap and MRI, it was determined she had idiopathic GME, a form of encephalitis caused by an unknown origin (not a germ, so not treatable with medication). We were willing to pay any amount to help her recover, but it was determined that without sedation, she had uncontrollable seizures. My three kids, husband and I were all overwhelmed and devastated to have to put her to sleep.

Two of our neighbors got puppies from Jennifer around the same time as us. All three puppies, while from different litters, had the same father dog named Huckleberry. Those two dogs have both suffered terminal cancer, one at age 7 and the other at age 8. Both had expensive chemotherapy treatments and medications.

While they are wonderful companion pets, please be aware that you and your family may become very attached, and then have something devastating happen.

We did share all of our neurology reports with Jennifer. She did not ever personally respond to us. We received a very short and unsympathetic response from one of her assistants via email. She had no interest in what happened to our Daisy. Beware!

101 - 109 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.