Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
She has not gotten a dog from Jennifer yet. She was asking if we had any knowledge of her as a 'breeder' and if anyone had any experience with her. This is Jennifers page for her dogs. http://www.daisydogs.com/

EDIT: I don't know if she had gotten another dog from someone else, I thought I read something about her having a Daisy dog from someone else years ago, but I could be wrong.
Got it from a farm

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Re: Mods can you please take this down!!!!!!!

Alright guys, now that I have slept on this, what I want to say is that I got so upset last night because i am just so exhausted from this search and getting my toosh handed to me when it feels so hopeless in me finding a daisy dog...

I feel so hopeless because i feel like everyone thinks I'm totally incapable of feeling nervous by that shady website, i saw the same things you all did, I was just simply trying to look on the brighter side of things.

I don't want to have to order a puppy just based on what it looks like and have it shipped from Oregon or Texxas, I wanted to let the dog pick ME.

The only dog in my entire lifetime that i ever had that strong personal bond with, I went to see the puppies, and pooh picked me, there was an instant connection, and ever since, every dog i have tried to take in just simply hasnt picked me, and the bond is nonexistent.
I'm going to leave it at this.
A "Daisy Dog" is a mutt. The people breeding them, are purposely breeding mixed breed dogs, which shelters are completely overrun with. They are breeding them without doing any health testing or temperament testing. They are not keeping up with their lines (pedigree) and are not keeping up with their buyers. You therefore have the exact same chance of getting a healthy, stable dog as you would getting a dog from a shelter.
If you buy one from this person, you're putting your money into the pocket of a shady, irresponsible back yard breeder, who is doing god knows what to her dogs, who is likely not putting a penny back into them. That makes you just as irresponsible as the breeder.

Go, to a shelter. They are full of "daisy dogs" and there's nothing wrong with them.

We're trying to help you. We have your best interests in mind, and the interests of the dog(s).

You can't replicate your last dog. You can get a dog of the same mix, the same gender, the same color, the same age, but it will not be your same dog.
Go to a shelter, tell them what you're looking for. Walk the aisle, and wait for that click. It'll happen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
I missed the original post but I would never deal with a breeder who was so secretive. No way. As far as you coming here and expecting "us" to stay completely on topic tells me you must not visit many forums.
Can someone answer, has she already gotten a dog from this person? I thought I saw the OP say she got a dog from someone else, not this Jennifer?
No I do not go on forums at all, i just was trying it as a last resort because I've had such bad luck finding anyone that can help me actually find a good breeder. No I have not bought a dog from Jennifer and do not intend to. I was merely trying to look into her and try to investigate some of the concerns I had with how shady she was being, and to try to judge her for myself instead of just guessing. The dog I was referring to has been deceased for years, and was purchased from a farm when I was very young so I don't remember where it was or how to contact that person. This dog was from way back in the 1990's. The reason I got so upset is becuase I was not looking for people to try to defer me from questioning her or contacting her to find out more information, and definitely not to ask for people to increase my paranoia surrounding her by pointing out in even more extreme ways, my already existent insecurities with this particular breeder. I was merely trying to see if there was anyone who HAS contacted her, and I just wanted to see if anyone who actually did meet with her got a bad impression, or a gut feeling, and what they paid and what their experience with her was. Believe me, if I was to show up there and find out this lady is a backyard breeder desecrating the dog I love so dearly, I would NOT stay silent about it. I would do everything I could to get any breeder that tried to sell me a lemon shut down. I just overreacted yesterday I apologize, please try to understand, it isn't always easy for me to put things into rational and sensible words. So I slept on it and came back to try to set the record straight.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
No I do not go on forums at all, i just was trying it as a last resort because I've had such bad luck finding anyone that can help me actually find a good breeder. No I have not bought a dog from Jennifer and do not intend to. I was merely trying to look into her and try to investigate some of the concerns I had with how shady she was being, and to try to judge her for myself instead of just guessing. The dog I was referring to has been deceased for years, and was purchased from a farm when I was very young so I don't remember where it was or how to contact that person. This dog was from way back in the 1990's. The reason I got so upset is becuase I was not looking for people to try to defer me from questioning her or contacting her to find out more information, and definitely not to ask for people to increase my paranoia surrounding her by pointing out in even more extreme ways, my already existent insecurities with this particular breeder. I was merely trying to see if there was anyone who HAS contacted her, and I just wanted to see if anyone who actually did meet with her got a bad impression, or a gut feeling, and what they paid and what their experience with her was. Believe me, if I was to show up there and find out this lady is a backyard breeder desecrating the dog I love so dearly, I would NOT stay silent about it. I would do everything I could to get any breeder that tried to sell me a lemon shut down. I just overreacted yesterday I apologize, please try to understand, it isn't always easy for me to put things into rational and sensible words. So I slept on it and came back to try to set the record straight.
Hiya,
Ok, well to inform you, most forums, unless they're anally moderated, allow you to talk about most anything. If you hang around here, you'll see that happens frequently. This is the internet, you can't ask questions and expect people to only post the answers to those and not bring up other stuff. That's not reality, at least online and on forums.
You mention finding a breeder....this is where this drives me nuts. People shouldn't be breeding mixed breed dogs. There are tons and tons in shelters and rescues everywhere. IMO people who breed mixes are not doing anything right. Now, there are some mixes that are bred purposely, one of them is a BorderJack but I don't know why these are done. I'm not in agreement but thats okay, I don't have to be.
So, when people come here trying to find a breeder of a mutt, it sends up red flags. There is nothing wrong with mutts but they shouldn't, for the most part, be purposely bred. If someone absolutely must breed mutts, they should still do what we here expect of any breeder: do the requisite health testing, have that information available on the pertinent websites. For purebreds, most of us look for dogs that are being shown, participate in some sort of obedience, sports, etc. You want dogs raised in the home with the family. You want reputable breeders. I don't know how someone breeding mutts can be reputable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Re: Mods can you please take this down!!!!!!!

I'm going to leave it at this.
A "Daisy Dog" is a mutt. The people breeding them, are purposely breeding mixed breed dogs, which shelters are completely overrun with. They are breeding them without doing any health testing or temperament testing. They are not keeping up with their lines (pedigree) and are not keeping up with their buyers. You therefore have the exact same chance of getting a healthy, stable dog as you would getting a dog from a shelter.
If you buy one from this person, you're putting your money into the pocket of a shady, irresponsible back yard breeder, who is doing god knows what to her dogs, who is likely not putting a penny back into them. That makes you just as irresponsible as the breeder.

Go, to a shelter. They are full of "daisy dogs" and there's nothing wrong with them.

We're trying to help you. We have your best interests in mind, and the interests of the dog(s).

You can't replicate your last dog. You can get a dog of the same mix, the same gender, the same color, the same age, but it will not be your same dog.
Go to a shelter, tell them what you're looking for. Walk the aisle, and wait for that click. It'll happen.
I am not looking to replace pooh bear, he was everything to me and I will never ruin his memory by putting the love i shared with him aside. As I said, I really was only trying to confirm my suspicions by talking with someone who is experienced with Jennifer, and if it turned out that I didn't trust her, I would most likely be contacting all my local news outlets and gathering all of my dog lover friends to go deal with the situation. I understand everyone wants to help, but its been completely misunderstood what my intentions with jennifer were. just simply to find out about her, not to necessarily support her as a breeder or even buy from her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
Hiya,
Ok, well to inform you, most forums, unless they're anally moderated, allow you to talk about most anything. If you hang around here, you'll see that happens frequently. This is the internet, you can't ask questions and expect people to only post the answers to those and not bring up other stuff. That's not reality, at least online and on forums.
You mention finding a breeder....this is where this drives me nuts. People shouldn't be breeding mixed breed dogs. There are tons and tons in shelters and rescues everywhere. IMO people who breed mixes are not doing anything right. Now, there are some mixes that are bred purposely, one of them is a BorderJack but I don't know why these are done. I'm not in agreement but thats okay, I don't have to be.
So, when people come here trying to find a breeder of a mutt, it sends up red flags. There is nothing wrong with mutts but they shouldn't, for the most part, be purposely bred. If someone absolutely must breed mutts, they should still do what we here expect of any breeder: do the requisite health testing, have that information available on the pertinent websites. For purebreds, most of us look for dogs that are being shown, participate in some sort of obedience, sports, etc. You want dogs raised in the home with the family. You want reputable breeders. I don't know how someone breeding mutts can be reputable.
As long as the credentials and health tests are there or done by request I would be fine with getting it from a breeder, who also has a guaruntee that is more than one year. I got so upset becuase I was being flooded with so much info that I was NOT looking for that I was having an anxiety attack that I would miss that one person if they did come along that actually had the info I was looking for. What happened yesterday was an anxiety attack, an episode linked to my mental condition.

I just have severe anxiety in getting a shelter dog becuase ive adopted from shelters before and i have ended up with dogs with severe neglect or abuse anxieties and just to see an animal run and cower in fear for no reason break my heart and sends me into episodes, that is why I wanted to go with a breeder, so that the history behind the dog is mine and mine alone to decide.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I'm sorry if we caused an anxiety attack. I'm sure that wasn't intended. People here just care a lot about dogs and get a bit upset when they see a breeder taking advantage.

People shouldn't be breeding mixed breed dogs.
I disagree with this completely (you will find lots here who do).

I have no problem with a breeder breeding mixes and I also have no problem with someone breeding just for companionship purposes. Here is what I would look for in a breeder (several of the key things are missing from the "daisy dogs")
- Upfront about pedigrees, breed composition and bloodlines: the big advantage of going to a breeder is you can see both parents, often even grandparents and can see for yourself the health and temperament of the dogs. You can ask how long their relatives lived, what they died of, how active they were etc. You know breed composition so you know what the likely health issues are and you can ask the breeder if she performs the necessary health testing

- Health testing: each breed has specific issues to look out for (another reason you must know the breed). Generally OFA and CERF as well as patella (and probably others depending on the specific breed) are done on small dogs like the "daisy dogs". Those test results should be available to you as a buyer. Don't just take the breeders word for it, look up on the OFA/CERF website and ask to see the test results for the parents. This will help ensure healthy puppies. Its considered standard practice to do these tests for responsible breeders

- Breeding plan: you want to ask what specifically they are breeding for, especially if they're breeding mixes. What energy levels, temperament, structure. Don't just be satisfied with "we wanted to make the best companion!" because "best" means different things to practically everyone. You want to make sure their definition of "best" matches yours.

- Be careful of anyone who claims the dogs are perfect (No shedding! No barking! No slobber!) - people can't reasonably make promises like that about dogs. Its usually the one's who don't follow up with their puppies (to see how they actually turned out) or people who are trying to take advantage who make those promises. A dog is a living thing, they bark, even if they have hair not fur they have allergens and they drool. Someone who claims they absolutely 100% don't do those things are lying to you.

- Other stuff to look out for: Living conditions: you want to actually see them, otherwise you might accidentally be supporting a puppy mill or bad breeder. Contracts and breeder involvement: its usually a good sign when the breeder wants to be a resource for the buyer and asks for assurance that you will return the pup instead of sending it to a shelter. It shows they are really invested in their dogs for their whole lifetime and are not just in it for the money.

Everyone has a slightly different list for a "good breeder" but those are the big ones (especially 1 - 3). If you need breed or breeder recommendations specifically I'm sure someone will help you out here on the forum. Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I'm sorry if we caused an anxiety attack. I'm sure that wasn't intended. People here just care a lot about dogs and get a bit upset when they see a breeder taking advantage.

I disagree with this completely (you will find lots here who do).

I have no problem with a breeder breeding mixes and I also have no problem with someone breeding just for companionship purposes. Here is what I would look for in a breeder (several of the key things are missing from the "daisy dogs")
- Upfront about pedigrees, breed composition and bloodlines: the big advantage of going to a breeder is you can see both parents, often even grandparents and can see for yourself the health and temperament of the dogs. You can ask how long their relatives lived, what they died of, how active they were etc. You know breed composition so you know what the likely health issues are and you can ask the breeder if she performs the necessary health testing

- Health testing: each breed has specific issues to look out for (another reason you must know the breed). Generally OFA and CERF as well as patella (and probably others depending on the specific breed) are done on small dogs like the "daisy dogs". Those test results should be available to you as a buyer. Don't just take the breeders word for it, look up on the OFA/CERF website and ask to see the test results for the parents. This will help ensure healthy puppies. Its considered standard practice to do these tests for responsible breeders

- Breeding plan: you want to ask what specifically they are breeding for, especially if they're breeding mixes. What energy levels, temperament, structure. Don't just be satisfied with "we wanted to make the best companion!" because "best" means different things to practically everyone. You want to make sure their definition of "best" matches yours.

- Be careful of anyone who claims the dogs are perfect (No shedding! No barking! No slobber!) - people can't reasonably make promises like that about dogs. Its usually the one's who don't follow up with their puppies (to see how they actually turned out) or people who are trying to take advantage who make those promises. A dog is a living thing, they bark, even if they have hair not fur they have allergens and they drool. Someone who claims they absolutely 100% don't do those things are lying to you.

- Other stuff to look out for: Living conditions: you want to actually see them, otherwise you might accidentally be supporting a puppy mill or bad breeder. Contracts and breeder involvement: its usually a good sign when the breeder wants to be a resource for the buyer and asks for assurance that you will return the pup instead of sending it to a shelter. It shows they are really invested in their dogs for their whole lifetime and are not just in it for the money.

Everyone has a slightly different list for a "good breeder" but those are the big ones (especially 1 - 3). If you need breed or breeder recommendations specifically I'm sure someone will help you out here on the forum. Good luck!

Now see, you know what, the way that you stated this, and the way you came across to me here I was totally able to read this without any anxiety whatsoever, I just want to point this out.
Instead of seeming combatant or judgmental like you were right and I was doing something wrong, you started off very respectful and I didn't detect any condescending undertone, which is not common because during my episodes my brain is trained on seeking that out.
Everything you said was reasonable, I like the point that you made about daisy dogs missing some of your major key requirements.
I guess I just felt that I had every right to at least look into all of my options instead of just going with a shelter dog right from the start, I wanted to at least explore the rest of the options and see what was out there and if a completely blank slate was even possible, but the puppy mills and mom and pop shops are so rampant that I just don't know who to trust anymore.
So at this point I would rather go with a shelter dog instead of paying up to 4 thousand dollars for an animal that is not coming from any better or more reassuring of a background.
I am VERY aware that shelter dogs make great dogs, and that plenty of them are actually turned into service dogs. I just figured that if there was a reputable breeder and I had a chance at a blank slate within a reasonable price range (which i did not find) that it would be a dog much easier to train than one that has to overcome emotional scars. Also it would be easier on me to not have to combat those thoughts of how hard the dogs life may have been, worried i would identify with it for all the wrong reasons. just simply because I know the way my brain works and it is much more of an effort for me to concentrate on the good, and I know the dog does not need my pity, it needs my love and care. So that is why I just thought to at least look into it before making a decision on a shelter dog.

I now realize that this search in itself has been much more stressful than it would have been to help a dog overcome some obstacles to live a happy life with me. Thank you for helping me see that without making me feel threatened. I am not trying to shame everyone who just didn't know how to communicate with me, nobody knows me so there is no blame to be put anywhere here, that is not what I am saying. I just felt it necessary to acknowledge what did actually help.

Also, thanks to this thread I have received a few personal messages from people in and around my area who know breeders and shelters, so I am really hoping that something comes out of this. I also want to thank the rest of you, and apologize. Even though I had a breakdown, my breakdowns teach me good life lessons that stick with me for years, so, pat yourselves on the backs for helping the mentally disabled without spending a cent in doing so. You have saved a lot of people a lot of money. HAHAHA.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
You don't need to go to a shelter if you don't want to, but with the Daisy Dogs you won't really be getting anything more than a shelter puppy would offer. You won't know the breed, you won't know the pedigree and there is no health testing.... There's just not any advantage.

Plus, if she can't even trust you with basic information about your own puppy, why would you trust her about the health, temperament and breeding of these dogs?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Have you contacted a local chapter within your area that trains service dogs? Maybe they can help you in your search for a companion. Good luck in your search and let us know if you find a dog. ok.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
The organization I trained toby with (he was an sd in training) has been using increasing numbers of adult rescues SUCCESSFULLY in their program. They do a regular volhard type temp test and do cerf, ofa, and baer before accepting the dog into their program for training. They've had extremely good results with using the adult mixed breed rescues for a variety of conditions, everything from mobility impairment to ptsd.

it is possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
You don't need to go to a shelter if you don't want to, but with the Daisy Dogs you won't really be getting anything more than a shelter puppy would offer. You won't know the breed, you won't know the pedigree and there is no health testing.... There's just not any advantage.

Plus, if she can't even trust you with basic information about your own puppy, why would you trust her about the health, temperament and breeding of these dogs?
Yeah this is basically how I feel myself, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Have you contacted a local chapter within your area that trains service dogs? Maybe they can help you in your search for a companion. Good luck in your search and let us know if you find a dog. ok.
Yeah my trainer only knows of one daisy dog breeder in the world was the words that she put, so i assumed she meant Jennifer, but maybe it was just that she isnt familiar with daisy's and did that quick google search that shows jennifer. lol. that was my thought. she seems more like the type of person that works with purebreds or mixes comprised of only two different breeds. Like I see a lot of german shepards in her pictures. Just not mutty mutts like what im lookin for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope it is not too late to respond to this but I want to make a statement defending Jennifer Peterson. We purchased our Daisy Dog from Jennifer Peterson upon the recommendation of 2 other owners and 2 very well respected local vets. Her dogs come with a 5 year health guarantee. Her family started this back in the late 60's. She was very distressed with all the imitations that come with poor genetic background and as a result made a decision to not reveal the mix of the dogs she has for adoption. I know that I was able to see the parents of my pup. I have toured her kennels, seen her welping rooms and referred other prospective buyers to her. All of the families who have adopted their pet from Jennifer Peterson have been more than happily satisfied with their new family member. If you make an appointment to go to Jennifer Peterson she will interview you and you will interview her. She does not want her dogs going to just "anybody." Also, all dogs come spayed or neutered so that there is no chance of being misrepresented. To make a judgement about this breeder with out any real hands on experience is not justified.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
She was very distressed with all the imitations that come with poor genetic background and as a result made a decision to not reveal the mix of the dogs she has for adoption. I know that I was able to see the parents of my pup. I have toured her kennels, seen her welping rooms and referred other prospective buyers to her. All of the families who have adopted their pet from Jennifer Peterson have been more than happily satisfied with their new family member.
She was very distressed about dogs with poor genetic backgrounds being sold so she decided NOT to reveal her own dog's genetic backgrounds. That just doesn't wash. The public has zero way of verifying the quality or even type of dogs used. Why would a buyer trust her about the quality of her dogs if she can't even trust them with the most *basic* information about them? She doesn't even provide health tests or prove the dogs in any manner.

No way. Trust goes two ways and mills or shady breeders are just praying you'll "take their word for it" about the quality of their dogs.

There's just no advantage to getting an untested, unproven dog of unknown lineage from a breeder.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Yeah, hands on experience of what? I'm certainly not going to purchase a dog from her.
Obviously they meant hands on experience of dogs you'll never be able to see or know anything about due to breeder secrecy.

Hands on experience of the untested, unproven, unknown mix of a fluffy puppy that arrives at your door. You can even confirm that it is in fact fluffy and a puppy! What more could you want?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Obviously they meant hands on experience of dogs you'll never be able to see or know anything about due to breeder secrecy.

Hands on experience of the untested, unproven, unknown mix of a fluffy puppy that arrives at your door. You can even confirm that it is in fact fluffy and a puppy! What more could you want?
It's only a ~40 minutes drive for me so this dream could still come true!

61 - 80 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.