Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched it and it was pretty tough to watch, especially the controversial 3 minutes of dogs going in the gas chamber.

As a bite victim myself, I didn't have a lot of sympathy for the Rhodesian Ridgeback owner that had to put his dog to sleep. He's just lucky the dogs didn't kill anyone.

The part about dog funerals and support groups was OK but the cloning seems a bit over the top.

The rescue portion, following the gas chamber sequence, was pretty good. I could identify with the lady rescuer and her childhood experiences. I remember people being quite mean to hunting dogs back in the 1960's when I was a kid. Fortunately, my Grandfather, who was a veterinarian and large animal trainer, taught me a better way of doing things.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Is this movie based on the book "One Nation Under Dog " ? I read that a couple years ago and found it very good. If so as with most movies based on a book they probably left alot out. I dont have TV at this time ( DISH network ticked me off ) but I will look for it to come to netflix !!

Ok I looked it up and it says it is "loosely " based on the book published in 2009. I highly recomend you read the book !!

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I have been bitten a few times by why blame the dog? Why say 'good for the stupid owner, he got what's coming to him!' what if something unfortunate happened & that owner was you?

Just saying

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been bitten a few times by why blame the dog? Why say 'good for the stupid owner, he got what's coming to him!' what if something unfortunate happened & that owner was you?
It wasn't a single incident but a chain of several severe bite incidents involving more than one dog. That was exacerbated by the owner paying off people several times to not say anything about the attacks to authorities or to sue them. I think it was obvious that the owner didn't spend any time properly socializing the dogs around other people or dogs, probably preferring them to be 'macho'. He seemed to enjoy terrorizing the neighborhood by letting his dogs with known behavioral issues run free and uncontrolled.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I watched it and it was pretty tough to watch, especially the controversial 3 minutes of dogs going in the gas chamber.

As a bite victim myself, I didn't have a lot of sympathy for the Rhodesian Ridgeback owner that had to put his dog to sleep. He's just lucky the dogs didn't kill anyone.

The part about dog funerals and support groups was OK but the cloning seems a bit over the top.

The rescue portion, following the gas chamber sequence, was pretty good. I could identify with the lady rescuer and her childhood experiences. I remember people being quite mean to hunting dogs back in the 1960's when I was a kid. Fortunately, my Grandfather, who was a veterinarian and large animal trainer, taught me a better way of doing things.
The gas chamber sequence was archived footage from 14 years ago . . . .

Borderwars did a critique - and I liked it. http://www.astraean.com/borderwars/2012/06/onenationunderdog-nothing-new.html

SOB

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If you think gas chambers aren't used anymore, that's not true. Just because the footage was from a while ago doesn't mean it doesn't happen now. The Sioux Falls Humane Society has a gas chamber.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I did not suggest gas chambers are no longer used.

I will suggest that the situation with regard to gas chambers and the acceptance of their use has changed drastically since that footage was taken.

My understanding from facebook is that Sioux Falls got rid of their gas chamber. I'll go peruse their website to see what I can find.

Some links of interest I found while looking.

http://www.sfhumanesociety.com/content.asp?secId=36&ParentId=0

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sioux-Falls-Area-Humane-Society/186106863245

http://www.thepropertyreports.com/2011/05/07/sioux-falls-animal-control-hustles-to-keep-up-with-record-number-of-calls/

http://agunited.org/news-and-events/hsus-confusion-takes-toll-on-south-dakota-animal-shelters/

SOB

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
That's nice if true. Last I heard they still used it for animals who are hard to handle (ferals, wild animals, biters, etc.).

Small town municipal shelters frequently use gassing or shooting. Unless the local vet donates the injection.

(ETA: just pointing out that objecting to that part on the basis of "hey, shelters don't do that anymore!" isn't entirely accurate)

(And none of those links say anything about the gas chamber)

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I watched it a couple days ago. I left the room during the gas chamber sequence and had my bf yell for me to come back when it was over. The first part about the biting dogs made me kind of uncomfortable...I felt like there was blame all around. The way some of the affected families talked sort of irritated me, like how the first mother said she decided not to report them so she wouldn't cause problems in the country club. What??

I wanted to have sympathy for the owners but when they made statements about their dog getting out of the yard and how they will turn up their zapper to prevent it happening again...well they don't strike me as very responsible owners. Their dogs have bite records and they are containing them with some sort of electric fence? How about a REAL fence? For the sake of your dogs AND the people unfortunate enough to live nearby. And then the part about the little girl...WHY oh WHY was a small child alone in a barn with this dog? WHYYY?? The whole situation brought me close to tears.

I liked the way they approached the support group portion, because even my bf who is not that into dogs and doesn't really understand how people get so attached seemed to understand and have sympathy for them. I think it actually will help make him more compassionate regarding people's love for their dogs. The funeral/crazy expensive burial portion seemed a little silly to me, mainly because a great majority of the caskets and head stones were MUCH nicer and larger than human relatives of mine ever got. My grandfather's headstone isn't even visible from far away. It's like a little plaque on the ground. But anyway, people are entitled to spend their money how they please I s'pose.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If you think gas chambers aren't used anymore, that's not true. Just because the footage was from a while ago doesn't mean it doesn't happen now. The Sioux Falls Humane Society has a gas chamber.
What have you done to influence your local government to offer more humane euthanasia?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
What have you done to influence your local government to offer more humane euthanasia?
If you'd like to make this about me, I'm sure you could have a lot of fun making a Willowy bashing thread. I don't want to take this thread too off-topic. I'm only pointing out that gassing is still used so we can't really call that outdated.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The gas chamber sequence was archived footage from 14 years ago . . . .
Thanks for that info.

Since dogs are still frequently put down at shelters and gas chambers are still used in a number of areas, it does serve a purpose to show this aspect of it. The ultimate goal is for shelters only to have to use euthanasia as a last resort for sick and dying animals or those who're too dangerous to adopt.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
ewwww, on you tube, i searched for the trailer, i typed in "one nation under dog" & this other video came up showing a guy in a plaid jacket or whatever, i clicked on it & it showed some text saying 'shot by a student with the cooporatiin of shelter workers.' i thought it was related to one nation under dog but it showed dogs getting gassed in the chanmer... it was horrible, hearing them howk & struggle to get out, seeing their faces as they went in, like 'what are you doing to me?' horrible... boith OH & i just cried :(

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Thanks for that info.

Since dogs are still frequently put down at shelters and gas chambers are still used in a number of areas, it does serve a purpose to show this aspect of it.
My understanding is that currently less than 1% use gas chambers - and very few of those solely use gas chambers. There is a ways to go but great strides have been made in this particular area particularly over the last 15 years with more and more moving away from gas chambers yearly. Keep in mind gas chambers used to be considered the "humane" method of euthanasia.

The ultimate goal is for shelters only to have to use euthanasia as a last resort for sick and dying animals or those who're too dangerous to adopt.
Couldn't agree more.

SOB

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Gas chambers are better than heartstick without anesthesia. Which unfortunately is included under "injectable euthanasia", so it's hard to figure out how many shelters use it or how often.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
With anesthetic? How does that effect dogs? I know in horses it makes then thrash around before they die which is why they started giving anesthetic first ( there were a few vets that didn't years ago, I was young but I remembered how it looked... It was horrible :( )

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If you'd like to make this about me, I'm sure you could have a lot of fun making a Willowy bashing thread. I don't want to take this thread too off-topic. I'm only pointing out that gassing is still used so we can't really call that outdated.
It was a simple question. If you really care, you take action. If you don't you talk about it. Gassing may still be used in a some backward places, but it is nowhere near as common as it was years ago. And one of the reasons it is less common is because people who cared about offering more humane euthanasia acted locally. That's how things get changed.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Gas chambers are better than heartstick without anesthesia. Which unfortunately is included under "injectable euthanasia", so it's hard to figure out how many shelters use it or how often.
My last dog was put down with a heartstick (with anesthesia). He'd had so many IVs over his lifetime that his veins were basically shot and at the time his bloodpressure was really low. It was more humane to put him under and do the heartstick than to keep fishing for a useable vein.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
My last dog was put down with a heartstick (with anesthesia). He'd had so many IVs over his lifetime that his veins were basically shot and at the time his bloodpressure was really low. It was more humane to put him under and do the heartstick than to keep fishing for a useable vein.
Yes, my 21-year-old cat, too, which is what made me look into it, since I wasn't aware of the method before. From what I found, shelters don't use anesthetic, and heartstick is the "recommended" way to kill feral cats :(.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts