Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I quit smoking. I think...

Pep talk me. Yell at me. Educate me. Whatever.

I came to the realization that I can't just pause life for a week while my brain gets with the new program. So I am...cranky to say the least.

I've had one smoke per day for the past three days. Today, 0.

My roommate, being blessed as he is, was able to swing chantix. He's also been smoking like multiple packs a day for many, many years. I don't hold a candle to his smoking abilities. But I still want to claw my eyeballs out right about now.

Now I am equipped with gum(the normal kind), a rubber band on each wrist, and the knowledge that I really don't want to waste money on something that makes me sound like rusty wind chimes.

p.s.- My bio lab partner called me a b*tch last week while I still a happy little smoker. Tonight's lab might be interesting.

·
Registered
999 Posts
A friend of mine took a jar and every time she wanted to buy a pack of smokes, the money went in the jar. At the end of a week, she treated herself to dinner. at the end of two she bought herself a new pair of boots. By the month mark she had a good chunk of change saved up, bought all new show tack for her horse. It worked for her...maybe something you can try. :)

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Ok! :) I hope you did! It took me three tries after 35 years of smoking and it is almost 4 years this December 6th. I picked my oldest Son's Birthday as my quit date. Careful with Chantix.......my Sister has tried it a couple of times and she is some real work....................to say the least! Lol! I used to eat those "dots" candy.....the licorice kind (black ones) or "Crows" also black candy. For some reason they had the aftertaste of smoking a cigarette? It worked for me. Funny how some people can just quit.....and others it is sooooo hard. I waited a little too long to quit. I have COPD (emphysema). I wish I had quit sooner. I am sure it was a major factor. Maybe not all.......but mostly. Sooner or later I will be hooked up to an oxygen machine. ....................not pretty....took care of my Mom until she died last year from it.....................is this a good pep talk? I am really being sincere. I wish you luck, Quit while you are ahead for heavens sake................I know.....it's hard. :)

Good luck in class! :) PS- If it makes you feel any better..........I say all this same stuff to two of my other Sisters who haven't quit yet. :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Keep 'em coming.

I already transferred $5 from my checking account to my savings account. That can be my jar.

I've quit before but that was before life got busy. I was able to just remove myself from it all and survive the worst of it. Obviously, I started back up after approximately 2 months.

It turns out both of my roommates are planning to quit this weekend. Coincidentally, I plan to be anywhere but home...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The less you talk about it the easier it is. I quit almost 6yr ago. I looked at each day without as a day of sobriety, no way did I want to start all over counting my days of "sobriety". Since I quit I am no longer on asthma meds, I was on two meds.

Hubby didn't know I quit for 6 weeks, he did the same "outtavsite, outta mind" method I did, he quit 4yr ago.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I did the first time I quit. I just finished my last pack, didn't buy more, and didn't tell a soul. A few days later, my roommate invited me out for a smoke and I was just like surprise!

I just need to survive my last four hours of classes today and I'm in the clear. Avoid social situations until I have the self-control to be around smokers.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have a very dear friend lying in bed in excruciating pain right now waiting to die from lung cancer. If that isn't incentive to stop smoking then I don't know what is. Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
:whoo:Good for you Tofu! You can do it. Keep spreading the word and look for that support! It's hard to let down a ton of people more than just yourself.

I'm going through the same thing right now. It freaking blows the big one, quitting.

The Chantix worked well for me the first time....this time, not so much. It's making me sick to my stomach and gives me an annoying "buzzing", stressed out feeling. So I'm gonna try cutting down.

Anytime I find myself wanting one, I either try to think about something else (maybe that's why I've been here so often lately!) or I clean something...anything. Or, take Bella Boo for another walk. The longer you can put off that smoke the easier it gets (so far).

A friend of mine said he quit when his father made him drink an old beer with extinguished butts in it....ewww!

I try to Remember:

Money
Health (no sucking wind whilst doing simple stuff)
Appearance (it isn't as glamorous as it once was)
Don't have to make plans around it
No yellow teeth (try a whitening kit...something you don't wanna have to re-do)
The stench (once you quit, you can smell how rank it is on other people)
The health of others - pets & people - around you
And look at CP's pic of lungs...that grosses me out every time

Hang in there! We smokers can be strong and kick those cigarette companies in THEIR wallets for a change!!

:whoo:

...I need to go clean something

·
Registered
508 Posts
Good for you, don't give up! I've heard so many stories of the many ways different people quit smoking, I think you just have to find the right method that works for you.

Quitting smoking means:

-You won't have COPD and have to be hooked up to an oxygen tank by the time you're 50
-Your breath will smell better
-If you have any wounds or you have to have surgery, you will be able to heal better without the nicotine constricting your blood vessels
-Reduces your chances of hypertension, heart attack, stroke, blood clots
-Less wrinkles
-If you ever decide to have kids, you won't have to deal with fighting the addiction while pregnant
-It's not only better for you, it's better for your dogs!
-Cheaper health insurance
-Think of all the money you'll save on cigarettes and what you could buy for your dogs with that money!

You can do it! If you need to be a bi*ch for a while, so be it. A woman's gotta do what a woman's gotta do, ya know?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Go Tofu!!! :clap2:

A friend of mine took a jar and every time she wanted to buy a pack of smokes, the money went in the jar. At the end of a week, she treated herself to dinner. at the end of two she bought herself a new pair of boots. By the month mark she had a good chunk of change saved up, bought all new show tack for her horse. It worked for her...maybe something you can try. :)
My bf is currently quitting and he's trying this. He really wants some new recording stuff for his music, so that is giving him some incentive. He just tries to not talk about it and to stay busy. Also eating finger foods: candy, carrots, grapes etc. Anything to keep your hands busy. He's a major ass hole because of it sometimes, but hey its definitely worth it!!! Good luck you can do it!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Want to quite smoking fast? Every time you lapse and light one up head down to the bar and do a suicide shot.

Swish the tequila,
Snort the salt,
Then squirt the lemon in your eye.

Behavioural modification therapy lol

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Want to quite smoking fast? Every time you lapse and light one up head down to the bar and do a suicide shot.

Swish the tequila,
Snort the salt,
Then squirt the lemon in your eye.

Behavioural modification therapy lol

Hehe... I like this. Do some classic behavior mod on yourself. Classical Condition the sh*t out of yourself until you smell or see a butt and you hide. xD

My mom was a smoker for 30 years or so. She started coughing at night and waking herself up so she just up and quit. Its been 6 years or so. Me on the other hand... xD ... I will quit someday...

GO TOFU!

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Great job, keep it up! Smoking puts you at risk of practically every non-infectious disease you've ever heard of. You will dramatically lower your chances of developing who-knows-what several decades from now if you quit now.

My bio lab partner called me a b*tch last week while I still a happy little smoker. Tonight's lab might be interesting.
As a TA of a bio lab, let me say thank you. I have a smoker in my lab this term, and I hate walking past him or helping him because even though he's a nice guy, the stench makes me want to puke (he smokes right before my class). I can't imagine how his lab partners must feel. If it was me, I'd ask to be moved.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As a TA of a bio lab, let me say thank you. I have a smoker in my lab this term, and I hate walking past him or helping him because even though he's a nice guy, the stench makes me want to puke (he smokes right before my class). I can't imagine how his lab partners must feel. If it was me, I'd ask to be moved.
He called me a b*tch because... well, I can see how he thinks I am one. In my defense, he smells like a-hole,he has never heard of personal space, and I am constantly repeating myself because I've actually read(and understood) the lab manual. Seriously, I envy the guy that doesn't have a partner at all. But our TA is the cutest thing since Natalie Portman was invented so I'd be lying if I said that doesn't affect how I feel about all things personal hygiene related.

Hehe... I like this. Do some classic behavior mod on yourself. Classical Condition the sh*t out of yourself until you smell or see a butt and you hide. xD
My mom was a smoker for 30 years or so. She started coughing at night and waking herself up so she just up and quit. Its been 6 years or so. Me on the other hand... xD ... I will quit someday...
GO TOFU!
I've heard of people smoking nasty menthols to quit. I don't know how successful they are and honestly, I'd rather just go cold turkey.

I hate rattling breath especially when I'm laying down for the night.
Truth be told, I smoked a lot of pot back in my high school days. And I continued to well out of high school. But I was a varsity cross country runner and breathing still felt effortless. I feel like a smoker when I run now. So I'm taking running up a notch to use that to my advantage.

Tomorrow should be an easy day. My friday dogs are always fun and no classes.
All I have to do is keep my hands and mouth busy(yes, I really want to turn that into a dirty joke because I'm so mature) and I've got this in the bag.

ETA: I can already smell everything. It's insane. Definitely doesn't help my lab partner situation though.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I'm really proud of you. My DH quit in Jan 2004 after having 2 stents put in because of blocked arteries. I smoke, and have tried to quit off and on, but have never really been motivated enough. I hate to say it, but at 46, I still don't feel any effects of smoking. I can out run my DH, and many of my non smoking friends, never get sick (not even colds when everyone around me is catching them), and have plenty of energy. So when I think of quitting, I haven't wanted to quit enough to REALLY try. I KNOW it is bad for me, but still just haven't been motivated enough. But when I hear of someone else quitting, I'm VERY happy for them, and am impressed.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I know what you mean spotted nikes.

It's sad but the "it will kill you" argument really doesn't do it for me. Something will kill me eventually.

I know what does motivate me.
1. Money. I'm broke enough as is. I'd rather be spending this money of fun things to do with Kaki, new clothes, new snow shoes(a "friend" never returned mine), etc.
2. Running. I love it. It's a great outlet and smoking makes it less enjoyable for me.
3. I'll admit it...sex. I don't want anybody to write me off because I'm a smoker. I smell and taste like a smoker.

I really, really want my roommate to do this. She's been smoking since she was a kid. Cancer is a huge thing in her family and she's already a survivor.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I was never a smoker, so I can't confirm this from personal experience, but I've had friends tell me how much smoking affects their taste buds. Within a week, eating something as simple as an apple becomes a completely different experience.

It's a good thing you run, because my friends also complained about how much weight they've gained after quitting smoking. I imagine the taste buds thing has as much to do with it as the compulsion thing.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We actually just touched on the subject in one of my classes. Smoking, that hot air, does damage taste buds. They take a little longer to recover than smell I'm guessing.

I'm not worried about gaining weight. A. I eat well and B. I don't own a car. Even without the psychotic dogs that keep me busy, I can't avoid exercise.

My grandma dropped a wad of cash on some procedure to quit smoking. It worked. After decades of smoking, she was just done! Then she gained 5 whole pounds, said F that, and started smoking again. *Facepalm*

·
Registered
28 Posts
I quit 5 years ago this month. I was about a pack to pack and a half a day smoker for about 15 years. You can do it.

Some of the advise here has been great. Best I can give you to help is talking about it can make it worse. Keep yourself as busy as possible, less time to think about it. If you go out somewhere, try to go to no smoking restaurants etc. (I avoided my favorite pub for about 3 months because I KNEW I would light up).

I found those small pretzel sticks to be my best friend. Every time I wanted to light up, I would suck on one of those. Gave me something else to do.

You'll make it, and you'll feel so much better for it. Just don't give up on yourself.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts