Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, it's still snowing outside (at least where I live!), but I'm trying to do some advance planning for this coming spring and summer. :D

I'm obviously still going to need to exercise Willow and Bandit in the summer months - but I'm concerned about overheating. I won't be scootering them except at the coolest parts of the day (early AM), but for daytime hikes and activities, I'd like to try a cooling vest.

Have any of you used a cooling vest before? What did you think of it? Does it work well on double-coated breeds too?

Here are the types I've found so far -

http://www.coolingapparel.com/shop/ap/K9_Vest.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3307+12+9441&pcatid=9441

There was one other type that I found, but I can't find the link now.

What do you guys think? Worthwhile, or just a gimmick?

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
ARGH!!! You guys having a winter are killing me. :mad: Sure, the hills are inundated with wintery goodness, but out here it's the same old story. My favorite part of winter is supposed to be sleeping in. But with this weather, I have to get up at 5:00 still...

As for the cooling vest (I've never used one), when we go hiking I freeze two liters of water for a couple of days before. Then I just toss them in their backpacks and we're ready to roll in 60 degree weather. Our hikes always have freezing runoff streams too, so letting them soak in that helps too.

·
Banned
335 Posts
I've never used cooling vests, but I've used the cooling collars that worked well. I used the kind that needed refrigeration, though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Interesting... i would also love to know if anyones used this before!

I would also be interested in getting it for my girl for some of those hot summer days.

Thanks for bringing it up!
Natacha & Teaka

·
Registered
52 Posts
I too am interested to hear more about this :)

My lab is SUCH a hot body! He doesn't even like to sleep on the couch or his dog bed, but prefers the colder hardwood floor. I can't imagine how he is going to feel in the summer when we are camping/hiking and outside more.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
No cooling vest here. I don't know if it would get through Toby's fur. I generally take them out early and plan my hikes around trails with streams and lakes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts