Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys -

Wondering if anybody has any experience with heart murmurs. Our 23wk old welsh terrier pup was just diagnosed with a grade 3 murmur. I am completely 1000% devastated. It has been 11 days and we are already so in love with our little baby.

We have a cardiologist appt for Jan 10th scheduled.

Is there anybody with any experience with this? I have tried not to google it, and have not been very successful with that and everything I read is not good. I know we won't know the severity/cause until after the ultrasound, but anything you can tell me to hold us over?

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Unfortunately until you have a diagnosis of what is causing the murmur, it's hard to really say much about what to expect. A murmur is just a sound that represents some type of abnormally turbulent blood flow in the heart, it can have a number of specific causes. Some of them are no big deal and some of them are a really big deal. About the most I can say is that young dogs and old dogs tend to have different problems that cause murmurs - young dogs usually have some type of congenital problem with normal development of the great vessels (aorta or pulmonary vessels), valves, or septum (the division between the left and right sides of the heart) while older dogs usually have some sort of degenerative valve or muscle disease.

Sorry can't be more helpful. The ultrasound will really give you the answers you need.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
My 11 year old has a grade 3 heart murmur, however she has multiple organ issues, kidney, pancreas, high blood pressure, anemia, etc. Unfortunately I don't have anything to offer you in the way of advice. She is aging and the murmur was only recently picked up in the last 6 months. I've only noticed that she no longer has the stamina she did 1 year ago. I'm glad to hear you have an appt with a cardiologist. Please keep us updated.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
My Siberian was diagnosed at 12 weeks old with a grade 3 murmur. Puppies can have what is known as a flow murmur which is a murmur that will go away by the age of six months (basically the irregularity is cause by the puppy being so excited and pumping so much blood through the heart). If it doesn't go away then there's obviously a problem that the cardiologist will be able to identify with the echo.

I kept hope out that my girl had a flow murmur but at 6 months it was not to be and off to a cardiologist we went. She was diagnosed with very mild subaortic stenosis which is a narrowing of her aortic valve (also she has an irregular beat). She was given beta blockers and I put her on fish oil pills.

Keep us updated after your visit to the cardiologist!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm not a vet, so what I'm telling you is from my own experiences. I have Cavalier King Charles Spaniels. Heart problems are inherent in the breed. In fact, I have one of my 3 Cavaliers because she was found to have a grade 2 murmur (by Ohio State's Cardiologist) at a young age. The breeder couldn't breed her, of course, and found her a home (mine!) at 2 years old. She's 4.5 years old now. Her murmur hasn't increased. I also have an 11 year old Cavalier (well, 11 in Feb.) that we recently discovered has a grade 5 heart murmur, this is a recent development due to age. Both of these dogs are doing fine. Neither has been put on any meds as of yet. I do give them heart supplements occasionally. It may be that your dog has a heart murmur caused by something different than my dogs. Cavaliers generally develop Mitral Valve Disease. So, I'm not saying that he/she won't need meds or anything. However, I think that heart supplements might benefit, if your vet approves. I have used some combo supplements like Bio-Cardio, Cardio Strength and Heartwise. Some of the individual supplements that might help with the heart are: COQ10, Hawthorn, L-Carnitine, Taurine, Fish oil. Btw, I have a new vet that is a Holistic/Traditional vet and I love them. Hazel, my 4.5 year old that has the milder murmur is doing great. My vet told me to just watch Hazel and Stella, with grade 5 murmur, especially for any new symptoms like lots of coughing, lethargy, etc. If these appear, then we will consider meds. So far, so good. I'm hoping your little dog will be fine and you can just give supplements along with a high quality food (not prescription)! Good luck to you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts