Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean "cur" as in "you mangy cur" -- I'm talkin bout a big, strong hound who will round up livestock, hunt any size game, and protect the home. I only know of 3 recognizable cur breeds -- catahoula, blue lacy, and my personal favorite, black mouth cur.

Relatives from east Texas gave a BMC pup to my kids, I didn't think much about it, didn't put much effort into training, so of course he was a rough & tumble, rambunctious youngster. But he matured into the best dog you could imagine. Without much imput from me, he became so calm, coorperative, rock-solid, that people started calling me the "dog whisperer." I didn't know what they were talking about (didn't have cable back then).

So when he died I went looking for another. When I found a hog hunter not far from here with a litter of BMC x Rhodesian Ridgeback, I just couldn't resist. I couldn't be more thrilled with this pup, he's like a BMC on a RR frame. He has the RR coat with a cur face including the black mask. He's six months old now and 67 pounds, I don't expect he'll go much past 80. His prey drive is unmistakeable, and last weekend I watched him herding some of the other dogs at the dog park. I'm determined to make Tucker into the best dog ever.

I just think its kinda interesting that good hog dogs make the best pets. Any other cur fans?

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
I agree they are good dogs. I have liked every black mouth cur or cur type that I have met. I'm a big hunting dog and hound fan in personality except I can't stand the hound howl and barking tendencies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Never been around a BMC, but those Catahoula hounds are really something. Been around a few & they were all smart dogs. The coon hunters around here keep lots of cur mixes. The hunters tell me that while they love the RR, the 'backers are closed mouth hounds, so you need to send them w/ a dog that'll bay. Your cur x 'backer might give the best of both.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Very similar to catahoula in abilities. Black mouth curs are silent on the trail and will kill the game if its not too big, otherwise bay it up and call with a single clipped bark. Coon hunters like to chase a loud dog, but the hog hunters prefer a closed mouth; if the hogs hear 'em coming they hold up in the thickest part of the brush they can find. The hunters will have to go in, because the dogs will go in after 'em. I never hunted over dogs, but my last dog (Dusty) used to call me out to the backyard whenever he treed a possum. Our deal was, if I could get it into his yard, he could "play" with it.

The breeder said he's looking to get more endurance into his BMC stock. Tucker will likely never hunt hogs, but he'll go fishing with us, soon as he gets to where he doesn't have to pick up everything he sees. I only had to extract hooks from Dusty twice, and Scout's never been hooked. Yet.

no experience myself, got any pics of your pup?
tdog 1029.jpg

Here's a couple from the day we brought him home, meeting his new big brother, Scout.
ts 0626 a.jpg ts 0626.JPG

I'll throw in some of Dusty, just cause he deserves recognition...
bye.JPG

·
Registered
17 Posts
There are some incredible pics of 'backers & buddies hunting hogs at the HRA website. It's hunting ridgebacks something- Association maybe, but the site should come up w/ HRA. My dogs do vermin patrol here very well & have killed coons, possums, foxes, groundhogs & unfortunately a skunk. yuck. Fortunately, that has only happened once. Don't know if the spray turned 'em off, or the bath that followed :) For all that they eliminate vermin, they don't bother the cats in the area, the chickens or any of the livestock either. Such discerning 'backers. I do love all the hounds though.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read about some hunters in Australia who found that their hog-hunting Ridgebacks have reasonably good livestock capability.

Most curs could be used to guard the chickens -- I know mine couldn't care less about any birds hanging out in the yard (although chicken was clearly his favorite food). He also considered squirrels not worthy of his attention. That's why we needed the terrier (not really -- my daughter wanted a westie -- he's a scrappy little hunter, too).

I had decided my next dog would be a ridgeback, but I just couldn't justify the cost of purebred (no doubt they're worth it, just couldn't commit the resources). So, Tucker is kind of my dream dog -- perfect dog x perfect dog, I'm kind of infatuated with him. My wife says she wishes I spent half as much time with her as with the dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts