Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a couple weeks we're going camping (we're car camping at a place we've gone before) with Belle (2 1/2 yr old Papillon). While we're far from inexperienced with camping, I haven't gone camping with a dog since I was a kid! What are some tips? Belle and I have gone on many trips so packing for a few days is no big deal, plus it's car camping. Love to get any advice! :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Probably my best suggestion is what will you do with her at night? will she sleep with you? Will you expect her to stay with you or will she need a leash?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I'm very interested in responses, too, because my boyfriend and Basil and I plan on going camping in a couple of weeks, as well! =D

·
Registered
535 Posts
When I go camping with dogs I bring their favourite toys and their dog bed and their crate if they have one. Plently of leashes and if you are going to a public camp ground I suggest that to be polite you bring doggie pick-up bags. Bring a chew bone for something for them to do. You really need a good obidiant and trained dog so you don't wake up other campers if you go to a public one.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Don't forget to bring a big jug of water from home for her ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh my goodness! Thank you all for your advice!

And now to get back on a few questions:

Belle will be sleeping with me, she does this every night so it's more home like! :)

Bed, doggie poo bags (I finally got one of those dispenser thingies), chewies, leashes... will do!

Thanks for all the advice and I'd love any more you have! :D And Nargle if we go before you I'll let you know how Belle does! :D

Don't forget to bring a big jug of water from home for her ;)
is this because they are used to their water? I know there is water at the camp that's people safe but I usually have a big thing of water in my car when we travel.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I like to take a long rope and stake it at both ends and attach their leashes to that. That gives them some room to sniff around and keep busy.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I'm sitting here making a list of things we will need for Belle:

Food, jug of water, food and water bowls, poo bags, brush, bed, towels, bed, car harness (she rides in one for the car), leashes, eyedrops (for her eye affected by the coyote attack last year), chewies, rope (love the stringing idea FourIsCompany!!), harness, collar with tags.... anything else? She's up to date on all of her shots.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I brought Akira's Rabies certificate and health booklet just in case something happened.

Since your going in a camping car it's going to be much more convenient for you than it was for us in a tent :rolleyes: We had to plan our whole day around Akira because we could not leave him anywhere if we wanted to go to a place that does not accept dogs.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Forgive my ignorance, I'm not much into camping but, what is car camping???

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Forgive my ignorance, I'm not much into camping but, what is car camping???
No worries! :) Car camping (to me at least) is where you drive in to the campsite and the pitch a tent but your car is right there.

I brought Akira's Rabies certificate and health booklet just in case something happened.

Since your going in a camping car it's going to be much more convenient for you than it was for us in a tent :rolleyes: We had to plan our whole day around Akira because we could not leave him anywhere if we wanted to go to a place that does not accept dogs.
Oh! Good thought! We were going to camp in California but Oregon is so much more doggie friendly for beaches and such. We're trying car camping and then go from there! My you are brave! :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
We love camping with our dog! We go out a few times each summer :) I am getting married on the 16th and for our "honeymoon" we are going camping in the mountains and taking Lucy, of course LOL She loves camping too!

It looks like you have a great list there! I usually bring an extra leash, lots of dog food and treats, toys, her bed....it's good to bring one of those fold up soft plastic bowls so you can let her have some water if you are away from the car/tent for a while (hiking or fishing or whatever).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We love camping with our dog! We go out a few times each summer :) I am getting married on the 16th and for our "honeymoon" we are going camping in the mountains and taking Lucy, of course LOL She loves camping too!

It looks like you have a great list there! I usually bring an extra leash, lots of dog food and treats, toys, her bed....it's good to bring one of those fold up soft plastic bowls so you can let her have some water if you are away from the car/tent for a while (hiking or fishing or whatever).

That's so wonderful to hear! :D My boyfriend and I love camping and we're super excited to bring her along and we think she's finally grown up enough. She'll be three this fall! :D

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
We're planning on taking our gal camping this summer as well! It will be her first time. Some great tips in this thread. =)

·
Banned
749 Posts
We're planning on taking our gal camping this summer as well! It will be her first time. Some great tips in this thread. =)

If that is your dog that you will be bringing when you go camping you need one more additional item. Sunscreen for the dog.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Yeah, we go quite often and the list of supplies you have sounds about right. I would just emphasize the need to carry your rabies cert. My experience shows there are three types of places when it comes to dogs; no dogs allowed, all dogs allowed, dogs w/ rabies cert. allowed. The later seems to make up the majority.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts