Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my puppy is 12 weeks old and she is my first dog i feed her puppy chow. but she want eat it nomore because my parents have two big dogs that eat dog chow and she thinks she is one of them and eats it to. just wondering if its good or bad?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Purina puppy chow is VERY bad for dogs. So is the Dog Chow. Here is the ingredients in puppy chow.

Ground yellow corn, (corn is a hollow, high calorie filler with no nutritional value)
chicken by-product meal,("by product" means the leftovers from when they process chicken for human consumption. This usually includes chemically proccesed heads, feet, feathers, ECT.)
corn gluten meal, (more corn!)
brewers rice, (this is usually OK, but is not one of the best ingredients.)
soybean meal, (soy, like corn, is a hollow filler, which can cause allergies.)
beef tallow preserved with mixed-tocopherols (source of vitamin E), (beef fat, usually from diseased, cancerous, or spoiled meat, or meat which is for some other reason considered "unfit for human consumption)
pearled barley, (this is OK)
dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, animal digest (POOP!), salt, egg product, potassium chloride, l-lysine monohydrochloride, zinc proteinate, choline chloride, dl-methionine, vitamin supplements (E, A, B12, D3), manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, copper proteinate, added color (red 40, yellow 5, blue 2), niacin, brewers dried yeast, calcium pantothenate, garlic oil, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, calcium iodate, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), folic acid, biotin, sodium selenite.

That is quite a list of low quality, dangerous ingredeints. Most people feed this stuff because it is cheap. It really is not. You have to feed twice as much Purina as you would a good food, so you end up feeding more. Also, purina and other foods with similar ingredients reduce your dog's life by several years. You also save money from many fewer vet visits.

I reccomend the Chicken Soup brand, it is fairly chaep and VERY healthy. It is $25 for 18 lbs, including shipping.http://www.heartypet.com/proddetail.php?prod=cs_1.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Purina is one of the lowest quality brands available. When choosing a dry kibble, always avoid ingredients such as by-products, corn esp in the form of gluten meal, soy, and any unspecified animal sources. (ex. "animal" is unspecific..."chicken", "turkey" ect is specific) Grain-free is always a plus.

This website has some good information: www.dogfoodanalysis.com

Purina is one of the lowest quality brands available. When choosing a dry kibble, always avoid ingredients such as by-products, corn esp in the form of gluten meal, soy, and any unspecified animal sources. (ex. "animal" is unspecific..."chicken", "turkey" ect is specific) Grain-free is always a plus.

This website has some good information: www.dogfoodanalysis.com
I forgot to add...as far as suggestions, I'd recommend Orijen and EVO. If you're on a budget, Taste of The Wild and Chicken Soup are two good quality foods for a reasonable price.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
As mentioned above, Purina and other brands that you can get at the grocery store are very low quality. If you're on a budget, then I recommend either Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul or Kirkland (sold at Costco).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts