Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our dogue is somewhat shy of people due to lack of early socialization. He is improving but slowly. Do you have a successful story to tell how you've helped your dog to overcome this condition? Do they outgrow it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi! I'm new here too.

My pup Cooper was VERY shy and timid when we first adopted him. He was already around 3 years old, but hadn't probably had much interaction with other dogs or people. He was very hand shy (got very low and tucked tail if anyone reached for him) and even growled a few times when he was cornered (a big no-no when you have a scared pup).

In my experience (we've had Cooper about a year), the best thing to do would be to enroll in one or more obedience classes. Learning new things can help a dog gain confidence and, more than that, you can teach them to do things such as "sit" or "touch" (a command where the dog touches his nose to your hand) when nervous that distracts them from the fear. All of this really helps dogs that are nervous and can help improve them over time.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Is he shy with people in all situations? Strangers or all people? Is he shy in the house or outside of the house or both? What kind of dog is he?

My dog had tons of socialization as a puppy. He still doesn't like strangers outside of my home. If you come into my house, whether you're a friend, family member, or a plumber, OMG BEST FRIEND. Pet me pet me! Let me lick you! I'll bring you toys! In public though, he doesn't want strangers petting him, and will do full evasive maneuvers to avoid being pet by strangers. As long as my dog isn't being aggressive, I don't care that he's avoiding. We have a "compromise" where I carry cookies, and especially if kids want to pet him (because he is damn cute. he's a dachshund mix), I say he doesn't like pets, but they can give him a cookie if they like. He loves cookies and will take them from anyone. That way they get to interact with him in a way he's comfortable. Not all dogs are super social with people.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts