Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one the other day in a pet store. It was the owner's dog. He was so good looking and so calm. Any owners here? How are they to live with?

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
They are like Plott hounds on steroids. Bred for hunting lions in South Africa, they are powerful, beautiful hounds that require an experienced owner and at least a 6-ft fence.

This is my dream dog. I love 'em.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
This is not a dog one should acquire because they like the looks! Very intense, VERY STRONG dogs. Unbelievabley strong! They aren't impossible to manage, but I would want a pretty big spot of land to let them run on every day - a couple acres at least. I think RonE has a pretty good post about 'em.

Great dogs, but after spending time with them at many lure coursing events, they are probably not the dog for me and my rather laid back lifestyle...so I just enjoy them vicariously through others :p

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those are very cool pics pamperedpups, thanks for posting that. My westie has a lion head cut hmmm, that might not work out well :) .

I do have a couple of acres of land but that's only on the weekends.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
The first one I ever met was owned by an idiot who used mace and a cattle prod to "control" the dog. There were two only people in the world that were safe with the dog. I was honored to be one of them. Unfortunately, the other was not the owner.

The dog was eventually destroyed. I have been mourning her for 30 years.

I've met a few of them since then who were not in the least aggressive, but still VERY formidible dogs.

Most people have a hard time imagining that they are hounds.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My ex-room mate had a Ridgeback cross with something else (not sure what, she was a rescue dog) :) She was a very sweet dog, but yes needed a lot of exercise and mental stimulation! Luckily we were on an acreage so she had lots of room to run.

Cool pics pamperedpups!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello. I would love to share my story with all of you..

I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback, Pit, Lab mix. I use to work at a training ranch for race horses and people would dump their unwanted pets daily on our property. This little guy was dump and we didn't know for a couple days. He was living in one of our pastures with our retired race horse. When we found him he was cold, full of worm, ticks and fleas. If the shelter would have picked him up he wouldn't have had a chance. I took him home nursed him back to health. At the time I had 4 large dogs and really wasn't looking for a 5th. I tried finding him a good home but no one wanted him because of his breed. He is a special dog for sure. I know he knows I saved him. He is attached to me and I am attached to him. He is very active, very smart but very loyal. He has been socialized with all ages, male and female. I have a 1/2 acre with two horses, a pony and two goats. He runs with them all with no problems. He gets along just fine with my 4 cats. I think he thinks they are his babies as he tends to mother them.

When I found him he was about 3 or 4 months old. He has been with me for 4years now and I just love him!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you!! Like most I love telling stories of my animals. I have a total of 18 animals and they all have a story. In my free time which is between 2am and 4 am (just kidding) I scrapbook they have their own albums. I love it and wouldn't change a thing.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
Destroyed? Why? 'Cause she was "uncontrollable"?
Exactly. I found out after the fact and thought, "What a waste!"

I thought a lot of other things, too, that were less kind.

Because of the way she was treated, she was a serious danger to those around her. I was comfortable playing and rough-housing with her but, in those days, I was comfortable exploring abandoned silver mines in the Mojave Desert.

I'm a bit less adventuresome now.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
There was someone who used to live in my town (has since moved) who had 4, 5, or 6 RRs. I swear I counted at least 5, maybe 6, but town limit is 4 dogs....maybe she had a kennel license or a friend at City Hall. Anyway, I didn't know her personally and I didn't see the dogs very often, but I can say that her yard had a 6-foot chain link fence with reinforcements.....:D .

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a rescue dog from the humane society and they told me it was a shepherd mix, after looking at some pics of ridgebacks im thinking that this is what it is mixed with, does anyone else see the resemblence or is it just me ???

btw he is like 9-10 weeks old in these pics

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry about the pic size in the post above this one, but here is a comparison between my puppy cash and one further up the thread.

Any resemblence ???

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.