Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, just a quick question...

Wicket has a bout of IBS again, and of course the vets are closed and it isn't what I would call a life and death emergency to pay the extra amount of money for an emergency trip to the vet..(we can't afford two vets visits right at this week anyways as I am still looking for a job...especialy the high price of an emergency visit...)...when they refer him anyways the next day to his regular vet, and he is still drinking water, active, playing and alert although not eating much due to his tummy issues....lots of gurgling noises and restfulness..
Last time he had it he ate so much grass outside it upset the stomach lining and he had slight bloody stool from the harsh blades of the grass....so I am trying to avoid that...but he keeps whining to go outside to eat grass..argh!!
does anyone know of any homemade rememdies to help calm his stomach or anything over the counter I can get to help him out and what kind of bland diet should i give him?? They really need pepto for doggies!!
He is slowly changing diets to taste of the wild so this could be one reason for the flare up, as well as the other night when I got up from eating dinner to use the bathroom, he got into my ribs loaded with barbeque sauce...he has sensitive tummy issues....I did expect some tummy discomfort frm the food change...(been two/three days now and am gonna keep mixing slowly for about a month....starting with very little kibble change...)
I would have checked the forums for past references but computer is acting up and takes forever to load just one thread...hubby tried to update computer instead who knows what he did...lol...)
thanks for all your help...sigh....

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I would fast him for the rest of today to start with. Water only, no food

Then starting tomorrow I would feed him small, frequent meals of rice and boiled meat (chicken/turkey or even beef, although the chicken or turkey would be better I think)

Your best bet is to bring him into the vet anyway, but this will get you through until he can be seen.

When his stool is back to normal, start adding small amounts of the kibble and reducing the rice/meat mixture. If you see a problem starting again, it's most likely the food is too rich for him and you need to find a bland diet.

Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato is a good place to start. It's bland and easily digested. Lots of IBS dogs do very well on it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will be calling his vet tomorrow, I just needed help for today, thanks...
what kind of rice is best to use???

all I have in the house is 1 minute rice but there is a store up the road if I need to get a different kind....I have plenty of chicken...
his tummy is pretty loud off and on, but keeping a close eye on hi...although he comes to me more frequently for some loving and tummy rubbing...poor little guy...I am making sure he is getting plenty of water which he is...I am pretty sure now it was the barbeque sauce he got into...(very spicy...plus just started the diet change...) that really started the flare up.
he still isn't eating much anyways today, although he did try getting into the cat food and begged for a piece of cheese that I was eating so he isn't completely turned off by food!! (he didn't get any btw..)

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Minute rice is fine.

Boil the chicken and give only the white meat. No skin or dark meat.

Cut or shred it into small pieces and mix it in with the rice.

Poor guy, his tummy is probably feeling awful. You could try a little of the rice/meat later on today. I would only give a small amount though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've given my dog pepto bismol, the liquid works better, pour on small piece of bread or pepcid, both are fine per the vet and do help. Agree, stay with the chicken and rice for a few days, maybe add a probiotic.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
his stomach is feeling much better now, and am boiling some chicken at the moment for his dinner.....his appetite is defianlty there as he keeps sniffing around the kitchen.
I just wanted to thank everyone for their advice,
I did give him a bit of pepto as well (I also researched online about it) and although it was a bit of a fight luckily I had a dropper, he was NOT a happy dog about it. Lol, but it helped his stomach gurgling although he may now have nightmares about pink bottles!! His poop is runny but not as bad as earlier. (I also now am wondering if the toothpaste i got for dogs had anything to do with his IBS as well, but I have to brush his teeth constantly as he chipped the outer layer of his front teeth trying to get out of the crate when we were gone for only a few hours!! He gets very stresssed when left alone, even with our other dog...) He's a very high strung little guy.
I am still gonna call the vet about it, just to rule out other problems. and hopefully this new food with new grains will help him alot as well. it's just gonna be a rough road ahead, give and take, to switch him over. and then will see, I will also keep natural balance in mind.
below is a picture of him, happy and protecting me against an empty pot!! taken just a few days ago

Thanks again!!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts