Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bella loves to play Frisbee or really any type of fetch game but I haven't really worked with her to bring stuff back to me. I have read a bunch of training tips and have a general idea of how im going to go about teaching her the come/bring it command but i was wondering if anybody had any special tricks that worked for their dogs. Bella can be stubborn at times and she thinks its hilarious to watch mommy run after her before she destroys the few toys she has left.:)

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
A 2nd Frisbee...your's is always the 'better' one to have.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats pretty much what im doing now but she drops the one she has to get the new one lol. i want her to bring back the frisbee and give it to me or at least drop it at my feet. Bella is extremely food motivated so i am going to try to use treats instead of another toy that way she doesnt expect another toy to be thrown when she brings the one she has back

·
Registered
411 Posts
I find both work well, I usually have 2 balls. Although when we're out, treats don't work too well unless I have really really good ones. Ha, it took me a while to figure out that I had to teach her to bring the ball back..thought it came naturally to dogs!! It only takes a few times to remind her to bring it back, then she gets into it and she just brings, by then I have the 2nd ball in the chuck-it, she sees that, drops the 1st ball and gets ready for the next. I have to keep the game going pretty fast or she gets bored. I haven't really tried the frisby though, had a hard enough time to get the chuck it to work for me !!

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that sounds good but my problem is is that once she sees the ball or toy i have she drops the one she is carrying so i still end up doing the leg work. Shes getting better but i dont think she understands that "BRING IT" is a command and not a suggestion hahaha

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
that sounds good but my problem is is that once she sees the ball or toy i have she drops the one she is carrying so i still end up doing the leg work. Shes getting better but i dont think she understands that "BRING IT" is a command and not a suggestion hahaha
LOL Well, are you working on recall, or on retrieve?!

I taught mine the search and find game, with the game itself the reward, no need for a treat, and they always, always bring the item back to me, and drop it in my hand. But then, SPoodles are retrievers, so that's not such a huge accomplishment!

I'm working on recall now with the puppy, with 100% success rate (so far) just whistling (3 "blasts" of the same sound), often doing it while she's outside and I'm in the house, so it's when she least expects it. I've watched her response out the bedroom window, instantly racing to find me when she hears it! Makes me grin and feel so proud of her! I started with the whistle sound and hand signal in front of her, feeding bites of Nathen's hot dog for coming to me. She quickly associated the whistle with a yummy treat. Now, I sometimes have a treat, sometimes just throw a party praising her or playing tug.

The other 3 dogs now respond, too, racing like mad to get to me first! lol

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah im planning on getting a whistle this weekend to work on her "COME" which i guess is a recall command. Bella is a boxer mix and i dont think she has much retriever in her if any. Should i separate the command come and the bring it (retrieve) command and train her with each in different sessions? I know it is way more important for her to be coming when called than to bring toys back. Should i make her "COME" command a 100% solid then later work on her retrieve?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts