Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are outdoor dog kennels on clearance at my local Home Depot. My husband wants to know if I want to get one (just in case) but I don't see a need for it. I think it was about $60 but my husband is going to check again when he goes back tomorrow.

Are there any unforseen reasons why I might want an outdoor chain link kennel? I was thinking about keeping it in the box "just in case" and leaving it stored in the shed. (Because it's a good price.)

I'm a stay at home mom and if I ever go back to work, we will send the pup to doggy day care. Our dog never goes outside alone, I take him out almost every hour. He is happy in his indoor crate when the family isn't home and has the run of the house when we are. Our yard isn't fully fenced in yet so we use a tie out for now. The fence will be completed (and reinforced because he is a digger!) this spring so he can roam a bit more. If we have a birthday party or something here, he'll just be confined to a bedroom for a little while.

Get it? Forget it? Store it?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I'm not sure what kind of kennel you are talking about but ours is about 6'6 or 7 foot tall, metal with a black coating and we have 6 panels which are all 8 or 9 feet long.
Either way, a kennel has been an required piece of yard decoration for years for me.
In our old place we had one for Lady (who prefers being outside and is an outside dog because of it.) It wasn't safe for her to run free because we were a half mile away from a main and busy highway and a half mile away from neighbors that would kill dogs found on his property.
It was a good situation for her because she got out daily (usually multiple times a day) to herd cattle (or sometimes just play ball and chase cats,lol).

When we moved to where we are now she doesn't leave the yard, it is fenced with a cattle fence, so she could leave if she wanted to, but she has been trained not to leave the yard and I don't know what she thinks she would do if she left other than come right back to the comfort and warmth of her padded/heated dog house and her food and heated water on the porch and the chance of playing with the family every time we go outside. (Living on a ranch it's quite often.)

Now we disassembled it and used it as two sides of a kennel, the garage is one side and the porch/house is another side. Roonie cant be left outside without running away immediately if not leashed so it has been a multi purpose kennel.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I think its up to you and your hubby. :) Its always a good investment to have at such a cheap cost.

I personally own 3 outside kennels that we have made into one LARGE dog kennel. :)
We live on 3 acres of land that is not fenced and beside a major highway though.
When we still had my Mastiff and sophie at once we would let them out to play in the kennel all the time.
They run around and have so much fun. During the summer if we have to run out somewhere we leave them to play in the kennel.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
It's a very nice tool to have in your bag and You can purchase a rubber mat from a company that sells them whatever size you need, they will ship it and you can get one larger than the run put it down put run on top and you have a dig proof place to put dog in an emergency. For conversation sake should you move in future you dismantle run roll up your mat and when you get to new place you have an immediate home for dog while you are moving furniture in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts