Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Nope, but when I was young I loved Greenland dogs (esquimaux dog). Until I found out they weren't people oriented at all and needed a job to do, preferably sled pulling. Though I ended up with something white that gets often called a polar dog after all. :p

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, but when I was young I loved Greenland dogs (esquimaux dog). Until I found out they weren't people oriented at all and needed a job to do, preferably sled pulling. Though I ended up with something white that gets often called a polar dog after all. :p

Good luck with your search.
My dog is happier with a job indeed, but simple recreational sledding does the trick. He's not too people oriented in general. He doesn't do things to please much. He managed to form great bonds with a chosen few though. It's awesome to see actually, how he reacts to his favorite people.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got 2 Northern Inuits/British Inuits :)

My first request is, obviously, pictures!

And how challenging do you find them? From the few sources online, they make it sound as if it was so tricky to domesticate them, with their tendency to pack life and aggressiveness, but mine has been a cuddly teddy bear (albeit really energetic).

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
What do you mean by "tricky to domesticate them"? I think you have them confused with another breed...perhaps Czechoslovakian Wolfdogs? Or Saarloos?

Northern Inuits/British Inuits are an attempt at making a breed that looks like a wolf but acts like a dog. They were (and still are, in some breeding groups) just a bunch of mixes put into a breeding program. They mostly look/act like shepherd mixes.

My first request is, obviously, pictures!

And how challenging do you find them? From the few sources online, they make it sound as if it was so tricky to domesticate them, with their tendency to pack life and aggressiveness, but mine has been a cuddly teddy bear (albeit really energetic).

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmmm English is not my first language, so it was probably just the wrong word. I meant when you read on the breed's temperament and such, they are really not the easiest breed to train and turn into family house pets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Zoopie -I have had a wolf dog and i now have 2 Inuits, they are very different. Inuits need lots of exercise and mental stimulation. Our wolf dog was super smart, she could open doors and was shy around people. Also needed lots and lots of exercise and stimulation. The wolf dog and Inuits were all great around my daughter. I agree the Inuits look like wolves but are really just very pretty dogs. Wolf dogs and wolf hybrids are a different kettle of fish. Inuits and wolf hybrids are not for inexperienced pet owners. Northern_Inuit_love nice to meet some one else who has inuits. Were did you get yours from?

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fully aware they are different than wolf dogs. I'm mostly amused since their temperaments are supposed to be tricky and mine is just a big fluff ball of friendly energy. And not only he's a "hard to handle working breed" on paper, he was also badly traumatized before I got him.

I need pictures of both you guys' dogs, please!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts