Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone is going to Perry Georgia this weekend?

I will be showing Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

·
Registered
73 Posts
To far for me.
Good luck tho...

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To far for me.
Good luck tho...
Thanks I am going to need it.... I need a major. There is one there in my breed. But the hard way... Its a two point show in dogs but there are two male specials. If I took Breed the two specials would be added to my dog count making it a major.

Only glitch is the two specials are the 2009 Westminster Best of Breed winner and the 2007 Crufts Best of Breed winner.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you know if the judge is willing to look at a class dog for the breed?
Actually yes..... The judge on Friday has occasionally put a class dog up over specials competition for Breed.......

The Judge Saturday is the really interesting one and what I feel is my best shot..... She has all the herding breeds and is a provisional in a few working breeds. It seems she mostly only judges in herding. She puts up class dogs often over specials. I also see nothing in her judging record to indicate she shows a preference for professionally handled dogs over owner handled dogs.
I don't know the individual dogs in the other breeds so I can't tell if this is a trend. But in ACD's she has a history of putting up good moving dogs that are near the top of the standard. Which is what I have.

The two specials have an advantage over my dog standing still. My dog is just shy of two years old. He has a tad of growing up to do. Mostly in his chest area. His chest is not done dropping. Its getting there. But they have an advantage. One special is about four and the other is about six I believe.

I have been in the ring with both of these dogs before. In fact when the Crufts dog first came to the US, he came out in the January Circuit in Brooksville. My dog was up against him three times. Merlin went one for two against him in Open Dog. The day we beat him we went on to take Winners dog and Best of Winners for a four point major.

Moving my dog has an advantage on both of them. He is my dog but he does move better. Merlin single tracks, is very correct in the rear and has a beautiful side gait. I have him where I could completely drop the leash (in fact I do here at home) and he gaits around the ring and does his down and backs. So I keep a very loose leash on him when he is moving in the ring. No chance of me tugging on him or pulling and tearing up his gait.

This may or may not be a factor. But my dog also has some flash. All three dogs are correct in coat, color and marking within the standard. But Merlin is flashy. He is a nice medium blue, has a nearly symmetrical mask with very rich copper markings. If nothing else I think it makes theJudges look at him longer.

Another thing.... Merlin is VERY animated. When you look at him even standing still you see a working dog. His expression, energy, etc is of a dog that can and WANTS to work.

I know its a long shot.... But I think we can win.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Georgia? Wish I could go but I have to take a long trip up to the airport and take my sister to go back to Austraila to see Sanjiv her boyfriend. Her car isn't too good.:eek:

Sorry! Really wish I could come!

~Laura!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
nope thats way too far for me. but I wish you luck I know you'll take BOB, and I wish you a BIS! hey it's nice to dream right?

Maybe if your in Wisconsin sometime for a show you'll see me.

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nope thats way too far for me. but I wish you luck I know you'll take BOB, and I wish you a BIS! hey it's nice to dream right?

Maybe if your in Wisconsin sometime for a show you'll see me.
I doubt I will get to Wisconsin but you never know. So far I have only been showing in Florida. But its kind of easy here. There seems to be a show every month within easy driving distance of my house. Some pretty big ones. This is only my second show involving hotel stays and my first one out of FLA.

BIS would be great. ACD's almost never get a BIS. They almost never get a group win and its not every day they even get a group placement.

Heck the time we took BOB was at a show that was a pretty long drive from home. I had stayed in a hotel for that one. I called the breeder and told her we took BOB but said I was going to brush off group and head for home. She threatened to kick my butt. So I stayed. I am glad I did but the judge did not even really look at my dog.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
It sounds like you do have a chance if the judge favors structure and movement. It's always great to show your dog to a judge that cares about the right things. And if he is as flashy as you say that would be a good dog to special.

I did have a question though. If his chest hasn't dropped completely yet, why are you showing him in open? With Dobermans we use the Am Bred class for dogs with a bit of maturing left. But I know with some breeds it's frowned upon to put dogs in Am Bred, or dogs just never get points from that class. Is that the case with the ACD?

But then again my handler always says it doesn't matter in the end. Even if the dog wins their class they still have to win in the winners ring.

·
Registered
249 Posts
We just got home from Perry! The Sheltie Nationals were just there 2 weeks ago. Really nice facility but OMG there is nothing to do nearby when you are there for a week! :eek: The never ventured farther than exits 135/136 but Sonny's BBQ was really good!

Good luck at your show :)

Tami

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It sounds like you do have a chance if the judge favors structure and movement. It's always great to show your dog to a judge that cares about the right things. And if he is as flashy as you say that would be a good dog to special.

I did have a question though. If his chest hasn't dropped completely yet, why are you showing him in open? With Dobermans we use the Am Bred class for dogs with a bit of maturing left. But I know with some breeds it's frowned upon to put dogs in Am Bred, or dogs just never get points from that class. Is that the case with the ACD?

But then again my handler always says it doesn't matter in the end. Even if the dog wins their class they still have to win in the winners ring.
Because you never see anybody do anything out of American Bred Class in ACD's. Most people in our breed tend to look at that class as someone trying to slip a marginal dog in to compete for winners dog. The new amature owner handler class seems to be viewed the same way.

He has been winning in Open dog. He has gotten seven of his ten points including his four point major competing out of open dog. He did not do much in the puppy classes. I attribute that to me. This is my first show dog and I had to learn. Frankly the dog is better than me and could possibly go farther than I can take him. I sort of got him as a fluke. I got him from the same breeder as I got my previous ACD from. I had become pretty good friends with the breeder over time. When my previous ACD passed away, I went down and we talked about planned litters. She was planning a litter that I wanted in on. I put a deposit down for a male performance prospect. Which is where my interest and background lies. There were two male pups in the litter. I visited weekly. I gravitated heavily to this particular puppy. I watched the litter for hours on end. I played with them, watched how they interacted etc. I clearly wanted this puppy. At about 6 weeks the breeder and I sat down to talk. There are no sure things in puppies but with some of these breeders who have been breeding for years, they can often peg a show prospect pretty young. I could purchase Merlin for the agreed upon price but there were some stipulations. I had to show him to the best of my ability in conformation. The goal is getting his championship. I think at this point the breeder would like to see him special some after he becomes a champion. But its my choice. She knows I am going to title him in Herding and Agility anyway so a well rounded dog looks good on her bloodlines. She strives for the total dog. I also had to agree to allow her breeding rights should she ever decide to breed him. I pay for the health testings. She is listed as the co owner until he finishes his championship. She then signs off on his registration.

I thought about it. In the end I agreed. There are some stipulations and she has responsibilities should he not pan out. But he is. It works out for everyone. I got the dog I wanted, my friendship with the breeder has gotten stronger. The dog got a great home, the breeder gets access to his genetics. The best and most important thing is he is a great dog. He is head strong and high drive just like an ACD should be. But he has a great head on his shoulders and is my Bud.

Plus I learned a new dimension of the dog game. This is my first show dog but won't be my last. I am learning and having fun. Since November we have won seven times. The dog and me are coming into our own.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Because you never see anybody do anything out of American Bred Class in ACD's. Most people in our breed tend to look at that class as someone trying to slip a marginal dog in to compete for winners dog. The new amature owner handler class seems to be viewed the same way.
That's what I was thinking. In dobermans no one jumps from the 12-18 class to open. And if they do the dogs tends to be maturing to fast.

Plus I learned a new dimension of the dog game. This is my first show dog but won't be my last. I am learning and having fun. Since November we have won seven times. The dog and me are coming into our own.
It is addicting.:D

My first show dog isn't breeding quality. In fact I'll be hard pressed to get him finished. But just owning him has taught me tons of information and introduced me to my newest obsession, dog shows. Know I have I new breeder that has recently agreed to mentor me so I can start a breeding program. I’ve decided to be in this for the long haul.

I hope you special him. He sounds like a great dog, and it will be a great experience for you. But even just finishing him is an amazing accomplishment and takes patience and will power, for you and the dog.;)

Good luck next weekend!:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks I am going to need it.... I need a major. There is one there in my breed. But the hard way... Its a two point show in dogs but there are two male specials. If I took Breed the two specials would be added to my dog count making it a major.

Only glitch is the two specials are the 2009 Westminster Best of Breed winner and the 2007 Crufts Best of Breed winner.
Just remember,

The bigger they are, the harder they fall!

It's been very interesting to learn about showing on DF. I never knew much about it before. I'd show my dog but 1) the organizations don't recognize rat terriers as a breed, and 2) a dog attacking all the other dogs probably gets disqualified :D

Best of luck,

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
so where would someone like me show in AKC? Hawkeye just turned 1 year old. I have never shown or trained a conformation dog in my life, and he still isn't complatly developed. wouldn't I go into the Amature owner handler class?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
so where would someone like me show in AKC? Hawkeye just turned 1 year old. I have never shown or trained a conformation dog in my life, and he still isn't complatly developed. wouldn't I go into the Amature owner handler class?
You would just need to figure out how things work with your breed. Also keep in mind that the amature handler class is very new. Some judges just don't know how they feel about the it yet. But I hope judges will give those dogs the same oppurtunity as the dogs in open.

I know in dobermans its next to impossible to finish a dog without a professional handler. But that's one of the most competive breeds as far as conformation.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Is the breeder you purchased him from nearby? If they don't show breed they might be able to give you suggestions on someone that shows near you that will mentor you. It's the best way to jump in IMO. You can always just show up and show your dog but a mentor can really guide you in how to trim, groom and present your breed in the best light. I have a great breeder who has introduced me to the breed world and although I haven't shown my dog (not sure why I'm just chicken I guess..even though I showed horses for years, go figure) I do completely groom him (Sheltie) and just hand her the lead before she goes in.

Are you a member of any local aussie clubs? I've found that's another great way to meet people who can help you out and give you tips. Even just setting up next to them at shows so they can help you with any last minute questions. I belong to 2 clubs, 1 is totally breed focused and the other is mainly performance but has several breed people as well. It's been a great resource and I've found a number of people that are willing to share their knowledge.

Have you checked for local handling classes? I know there are a few near me and I'm sure a local club (even allbreed) could point you in the right direction.

As for the class it's up to you. I don't know how aussies are broken up but you'd probably have ammy, novice, am bred, open or any color variation classes the breed offers. You could always do ammy classes to get your feet wet and get the practice in grooming and presentation. Once you have everything down to where you'd be more competitive you could stay in ammy and work on winning your class to get to winners and then you'd only have to compete against a few other dogs to go WD and get the points. Or you could move to open but you would have to compete against more dogs/pro handlers initially to just get to winners.

One option I've actually been considering is to register my dog UKC. As long as they are AKC reg'd it's not a problem. It's a much less intimidating class to start with since it's owners handling their dogs. There are no grooming products allowed. Just wash your dog and at the show it's water and a brush only. I'm thinking about starting to show my own dog there to get experience in a more relaxed venue. He just turned 2 and we're looking for his 2nd major to finish him. Once he's done I might special him but I'd prob wait for him to mature a bit before going up against the big time dogs.. during the break I might try to get his UKC Ch myself. We'll see but it's another option.

Whatever you do just make sure you have fun with your boy. That's what it's all about in the end! Good luck.

Tami

·
Premium Member
8,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I would go into 12-18 puppy.....

You could you could go into AOH... But you need to see what and who is showing in that class in your breed. Its a new class. I have been watching it in several breeds. I have yet to see anyone take winners dog or winners bitch out of that class.

The best thing to do is join a local breed club and make some friends.
They will help you. As long as the politics are not too too harsh in your breed. It seems to me most of the herding breeds the folks are fairly pleasant. I know they are brutal in some breeds.

This is how it happened with me. I was already in the breed club. Was good friends with the breeder and several other good breeders that show. I also have been training dogs off and on at a professional level. I would like to do it full time but I cannot see a way to make up my current income from training. So I keep my day job and train part time. I keep a very small client base and do more behavioral problem situations than obedience. I have trained and competed in herding and agility. I have trained real world herding dogs, etc. I also do a little pet sitting. Mostly dogs that most pet sitters and kennels won't touch.

So when I contracted on this dog to show him in conformation, the breeder asked me if I was going to take a handling class, hire a handler, or what. I said naw I will show him. I have seen the dog shows on tv and been to a few. I can handle it. She said nothing.

Every year about 45 minutes north of me there is a show grounds that has like 17 straight days of dog shows. Its in January so it draws people out of the cold down to Florida. Huge numbers of dogs from all over the world. Its commonly called the Brooksville circuit. At times the entries on the popular breeds will be over 100 dogs. I have seen over 120 Dobermans. Over a hundred Labs. Etc. Heck we get 20 to 50 ACD's every day and that is unheard of.
So January 2008 I chose to bring Merlin out at the Brookville circuit. I showed four days. The dog was a little over seven months old. We stunk up the place. The breeder never said a word. I had this dog that everyone had been ooooing and ahhhing over for months. We didn't do squat.

After the last day she said when you are ready to learn come on down and I will teach you. So I did.... I also watch other handlers. I learn from both the good and bad ones.

Just remember,

The bigger they are, the harder they fall!

It's been very interesting to learn about showing on DF. I never knew much about it before. I'd show my dog but 1) the organizations don't recognize rat terriers as a breed, and 2) a dog attacking all the other dogs probably gets disqualified :D

Best of luck,
You can show Rat Terriers in UKC.... The breeder I get my ACD's from also does a few rats. She shows them in UKC. They have also been accepted into the AKC... It will be a couple of years before they get into the conformation ring with them. You can do Rally with them now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I would say a first timer show in the dogs age class.
Puppy
6-1 year.
Some shows break it down to
6-9
9-12
then 12-18
then try the AOH class.
I would be showing in that class if my name was on the dogs papers.
So even tho she is almost 3 I am still playing in the Am Bred class.
Anytime you want to come and watch a show let me know and if I'm enetered I'd be glad to help out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts