Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Nutro was the first brand I started Elsa on. However, like some dogs, Elsa has anal gland problems, and when she was on Nutro her leaking seemed like it was a daily problem that I had to deal with. However, this problem reduced dramatically when I switched to Eagle Pack. It may be just a coincidence, but from my perspective it seemed to help and I'm glad I made the change. Nutro products also contain sodium menadione as a source of vitamin K, and some studies have shown it to cause cancer. However, I must add that the results are still preliminary. Here's a link if you care to read more about menadione. The Dog Food Project - Menadione (Vitamin K3)

·
Registered
1 Posts
nutro ultra

The ingredient list does look good- too high protien for some dog breeds (even large breed version) . My dog(s) liked it, but it gave them digestive upset. I'm still looking for a good food....:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much! I do agree that Eagle Pack is really good, but I can't find it anywhere! That was my first choice of dog food, but then I settled for Nutro.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Nutro doesn't list something on their Ultra bags that is there - Ethoxyquin. I did a lot of reading, and the country where Nutro gets their fish from is required to add ethoxyquin before shipping it here. Nutro is not required to list this on their bags, because they did not add it themselves, so of course they take advantage of that lol... This is one reason I quit feeding it, aside from the fact that Eevee got FAT on their weight maintenance formula, had soft stools, and I did not like the menadione.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

Hi,

At a dog show I picked up a few samples of Nutro Ultra dog food. Now I'm not a fan of Nutro dog food, I'd say it's okay dog food but it definitely could use some improvement and would be better than Pedigree or any Purina products, but I'm impressed with their line of Ultra foods.

Thanks,

Cindy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts