Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any NJ dog owners here? I used to live in Jersey City.. Recently moved to Matawan/ Old bridge area. Right off Exit 120 of garden state parkway. Question i have is, is there any place around the area where I can take my dog for LONG ball fetch? Most parks (including park right next to me - cheesequake state park) says dogs must be on leash all the time. Any place you can recommend where i can throw long throws with chuckit for dogs to fetch?
I have half a acre of back yard which is okay for my small havanese but my german shepherd covers that land in 7-10 jumps.. haha. Any help will be highly appreciated. I dont mind driving a bit if there are such great open area for offleash dogs.

(on the other note, in jersey city too, parks say ONLY on leash but i used to play fetch anyways.. this being a new town i dont want to take chance unless some of u do it and know for fact its okay to do so)

thanks again..

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I live in NJ. The only thing I can remotely think of, unless they changed their rules again, is Ocean City. I know, after hours, you can let your dog roam there off leash. But I would still call the municipal area and check. They keep changing their rules so often I could be telling you false info. There are a lot of dog parks here, you can check online.

I don't know where Matawan is, sorry. I'm in the Southern Part of NJ. Good luck finding something.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm in southern New Jersey too, but I'm pretty sure there is a beach or channel type area near Matawan that people let their dogs off leash all the time. I'll see if I can pull it up in some old e-mails.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Manasquan has a dog beach that used to be an off-leash area, but with lots of people not cleaning up after their dogs, they re-instated leash laws. (though people still do the off leash thing.) A friend of mine went last summer and loved it.

There are 2 off leash parks near you, Thompson Park in Lincroft and Wolf Hill park in Oceanport.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I live in Marlboro, there are several dog parks. Marlboro Township has one. Another larger one is in Holmdel, Thompson Park. Asbury has an off leash beach area for dogs.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey guys.. thanks for update. Good advise on dog parks. but seems like most of them are the fenced in park for just some doggy "playtime". which is good. but i was not looking for like play date. i am looking for some open space when people might take their dogs for some long ball throws/ fetches..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
any other ideas? thanks a lot.. today i got kicked out of cheesequake park trying to play fetch. haha. 75 bucks fine. i cant believe there is nowhere else

·
Registered
138 Posts
We live near Wolf Hill park in Oceanport and take Oliver there all the time. He stays on the 35 pounds and under side and loves it. The other side for bigger dogs is quite large. There are people there that play fetch with their dog all the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts