Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background - 1.5 year old male cocker spaniel that was a rescue animal (was abandoned in a house without food for some time)

Likes his crate - seems partially housebroken.

Underweight.

Heartworm positive (light infestation being treated with heartguard slow kill by vet).

Intact.

Would neutering him help with the 'leg hiking' indoors. I've read some people say it won't help once a dog is past puberty - and some others say it will help a great deal.

Thanks for opinions and thoughts.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
No, the leg hiking is now a behavior and must be trained out. I would definitely wait to neuter until the heartworm is resolved and weight is put back on.

He is ready for neuter after that.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I'm a bit surprised the rescue didn't require him to be neutered. It's pretty standard practice for rescues. Either way, Xeph's advice is very good. Talk to your vet too of course. There are no health issues. Zero is a cocker and was neutered at 1.5. He has no problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a bit surprised the rescue didn't require him to be neutered. It's pretty standard practice for rescues. Either way, Xeph's advice is very good. Talk to your vet too of course. There are no health issues. Zero is a cocker and was neutered at 1.5. He has no problems.
I 'rescued' him :)

·
Banned
363 Posts
Its often recommended to wait until a dog is 2 yrs old before neutering; the health risks of early neuter outweigh the benefits. For a small dog maybe 1.5 yrs is OK.

Of course many people who don't let their dogs roam and don't have behavioral problems do not neuter at all.

Why is it that you want to have him neutered?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Smaller dogs mature much faster, peppy, so neutering at 12-18 months is perfectly fine. Larger breeds 18-24 months is preferable (I'd personally like to go to 36 months for the boys).

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Its often recommended to wait until a dog is 2 yrs old before neutering; the health risks of early neuter outweigh the benefits. For a small dog maybe 1.5 yrs is OK.

Of course many people who don't let their dogs roam and don't have behavioral problems do not neuter at all.

Why is it that you want to have him neutered?
Both of my dogs are neutered. I don't let them roam and they didn't have behavioral problems before or after. (Well, Brutus has behavioral problems, but it has nothing to do with him being neutered.) Zero came from a rescue and was neutered before I got him, but the people who surrendered him mentioned no behavioral problems when they surrendered him and I've noted none since I got him. If I had a choice in the matter I'd neuter them again and wouldn't think twice. Again, I don't let my dogs roam and they don't have behavioral problems.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts