Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shadow is now 7 months old and I still don't know all his breeds. I know i never will know for sure but i would appreciate some opinions. Humane society called him a border collie mix. I am guessing he is part border collie (the markings), part australian shepherd (the nub for a tail). The third breed however i do not have any idea. His coat does not resemble a border collie or an aussie. I first thought lab but now his coat is too long for lab. a friend of the family says she sees german shepherd in him. i thought maybe blue heeler. any opinions?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After doing some research i am beginning to think he may be more kelpie than other breeds. His coat sounds more like a kelpie and his behavior sounds like it too. am i right in thinking border collie and aussie though? I think border collie for the only reason of his markings. aussie because he has a little nub for a tail (born that way, his 3 siblings were with him at the humane society and 2 had no tail at all and one had a full tail).

·
Registered
521 Posts

The dog on the right's mother was a long haired Border Collie and the father was a broken coated Jack Russell Terrier. The fact that her coat is short may be from the cross breeding. Three pups from the litter are short coated and two are broken coated. The two pups from the first breeding were also short coated, none had the long soft coat of the BC. Your pup looks just like the BC/Aussie on our flyball team.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I dunno, he looks BC to me. Remember that BCs come in all conceivable shapes and textures.. I think tirluc had a post about it once. He's probably a mix of a ton of things.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
BC's come in smooth coats and it's not uncommon...Kelpies on the other hand are very rare in the US. Since someone docked the tail on your dog, I would venture to guess that one parent was an aussie, mixed with either bc or heeler.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I live in Aus and they are everywhere, I own a kelpieX BC

not common in US though.

My boy

[/IMG]

I don't see kelpie

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
He looks very much like a BC x Aussie x Heeler in one of my classes.

If that dog is 7 months old, GET THAT PACK OFF HIM. He's WAY too young to be carrying it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
His tail was not docked, he was born with a nub. He has no problem with the pack. He wore it for a 6 mile hike and was still energetic enough to keep on going. He doesnt get dehydrated either, i give him plenty of water. He is amutt and i am damn proud! I am just curious to what his breeds are.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
It does't matter if he doesn't have a problem with it. His growth plates aren't closed and he can damage himself. BCs and BC Xs are notorious for running, playing, or working themselves to and past the point of injury- YOU have to watch out for their physical well being, because they won't!

ETA: that pack is also sitting WAY far back, and it's too big for him. Seriously.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts