Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is Bruiser's situation.. I had changed his food when I got him in Jan to TOTW and he was doing great with it. Two weeks ago he was having loose mush in the evening once a day. After about a week on and off I took him to the vet. He gave us this medication & probiotic which did not help, made him worse. The medication was used to treat infection- but everything came back neg with his stool sample.

The vet told me to give him chicken & rice over the weekend. (During this time-TOTW has been recalled in my area so I had to stop feeding him that food) Well over the long weekend he only drank water once and now he's only having one poop a day and it's all orange and mush.

I've been adding water to his food so he can get liquids. I just don't know what else to do anymore. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you from Bruiser & I

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Go back to the vet. He's not drinking and that's a huge issue.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Are you sure he's not drinking at night while you're sleeping? Did you measure the water before and after? The chicken and rice would be a lot 'wetter' than the dry kibble, so he may not want to drink much. If you pinch the skin on his neck together, it should snap back right away. If it stays stuck together when you let go, then he's dehydrated and it's time to worry. How is he acting otherwise? Are you giving him chicken with the skin/fat and a bit of rice, or just the meat, fat removed and more rice? That can make a difference as well.

If he's acting fine, I would stick with the chicken and rice combo, about half and half but not a lot of skin/fat in the mix. Then try a different (different company, different ingredients) kibble, and slowly add it to the chicken mix over the course of a week, till he's just on that kibble and see how he does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply. I have him off the medication he was taking and he seems to be doing much better. He's been drinking on his own these past few days and there is finally formed number two's :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts