Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband tried take Arlo on his morning walk today. He said they got a few houses down (and Arlo had been walking a little erratically at this point), he pooped at a neighbors house a few houses down (which he usually waits a while longer before he does this). Dean picked up, and bagged his poop and then Arlo planted all feet down and wouldn't move. When Dean tried to get him to go forward, he backed out of his collar (which I have since tightened! Yikes.). He ran back home and when Dean was able to catch up to him, he was sitting at the front door, waiting to be let in.

Any ideas? I had given him a rawhide a while before the walk, and when he came back in, he went right for it. So maybe that was it? He just didn't want a walk?

Just a curious thing for him to do. For the short time we've had him (5 days or so), he's really enjoyed his walks.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Leeo does this ALL of the time if he does not want to come in the house. He used to back out of the collar also ... until I tightened it. I am sure Arlo just wanted something better ... such as his rawhide and wanted to go home. It must have been more appealing than a walk today! Leeo still stands stiff and pulls on me if he wants to stay outside and do some more stuff. Reminds me of a stubborn mule! lol! :)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Regardless of the reason, get a harness he can't slip out of. It would be awful if he slipped his collar and ran into traffic and got killed.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leeo does this ALL of the time if he does not want to come in the house. He used to back out of the collar also ... until I tightened it. I am sure Arlo just wanted something better ... such as his rawhide and wanted to go home. It must have been more appealing than a walk today! Leeo still stands stiff and pulls on me if he wants to stay outside and do some more stuff. Reminds me of a stubborn mule! lol! :)
That's what I was thinking. Thanks for the reply :)

Regardless of the reason, get a harness he can't slip out of. It would be awful if he slipped his collar and ran into traffic and got killed.
It's on my list. I didn't have his collar tight enough. Problem solved.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Now that he's slipped his collar he knows the procedure. The collar should be tight enough so that when two fingers are slipped inside it the collar will be pretty tight. The two finger test assures its not too tight yet tight enough to prevent this from happening again.
Since his behavoir is otherwise normal I'd opine he's just opting for a more fun morning. However exercise is important for both dogs so make sure hubby doesn't use it as an excuse to not exercise.

·
Registered
291 Posts
mine does that when he has poop on his butt or pooped out a hair and its tickling him, but that wouldn't explain why he bolted when the collar came off. Must have been a good rawhide!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I've never heard of a martingale (I'm such a novice ;) ). That looks perfect, as his neck is not much smaller than his head. I'm going to order one soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts