Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've wanted a dog for quite some time now, and I found that the timing in my life seems perfect for me to add a companion to my side. I went to the shelter today (I'd rather get a rescue dog than from a breeder) and found an adorable, well-behaved young dog that I'm looking to adopt. However, I'm having a hard time determining what breeds are in this dog (the shelter was unsure as well).

I would appreciate any advice that can be shared for a first time dog owner and help with understanding the breed of the dog. Please see the attached picture.

Thanks!

Pongo.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's about 6 months old right now and weighs 41 pounds. He didn't seem to shed too much from the little amount of time I got to see him, but he was very playful and didn't bark a single time. When I took him outside, he was exploring and sniffing around a lot and played really well with other dogs.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Looks like a lab to me.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I agree. He looks like he has lots of Lab. A poor man's test is to see how much he LOVES water - see if he digs in his water bowl, drinks from the faucet, plays with water from the hose, even has webbed feet. Other dogs have these traits, even some English Bulldogs (except the webbing :) )

From the single picture, he could even be 'pure' Lab. I've seen yellow Labs with that conformation. Keep socializing him with other dogs, encouraging him to play as much as possible. Train him ... or he'll train you... He should be able to learn voice and hand signals, maybe with a little reading on the side. If he is a Lab then he is a chewing machine, so get him a hard rubber bone, a couple of Kongs (always keep one stuffed with peanut butter and kibble, frozen in the freezer), and maybe a Buster Cube. Anticipate puppy-destructiveness, he may get much more rambunctious over the next couple of weeks, as he learns to relax with you. If you leave him alone, he will get into mischief by chewing on everything. I expect him to grow to be about 65 lbs. And, he may have stopped shedding for the summer and may start shedding again around May. When you have more questions, especially about nipping, let us know. Plus, more pix pls, we love Labs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Looks like a lab to me too .. something about him shouts "Rhodesian ridgeback" to me too.

No real way to know, but like gofyguer said, a good ol' American Heinz 57 :) Cant go wrong. If he is what we think he is (Lab, mixed with some sort of other hound, such as a ridgeback) expect an energetic dog with a higher prey drive, and likely enjoys water and retrieving. I hope you like walks and outdoor play! Labs are known to be an especially 'mouthy' breed, so don't be surprised if you want to work against play biting or him waving his open mouth around while playing.

Either way, he's a working dog. Working dogs have a history of being bred to be trained more so than being bred to be companions - he'll be receptive (even eager) to learning, so make sure you teach him, or like Hanksimon said, he'll teach you!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looks lab, maybe a little golden retriever, and that chestnut color looks vizsla. Very cute pup! It is possible to do a DNA test from home after you adopt. Just for fun to know the breeds for sure.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Looks lab, maybe a little golden retriever, and that chestnut color looks vizsla. Very cute pup! It is possible to do a DNA test from home after you adopt. Just for fun to know the breeds for sure.
just so you know that color is also VERY popular in Labradors, it's called "Yellow" leaning towards the fox red shade of yellow. And those DNA tests are VERY unreliable, I wouldn't suggest them as a "for sure" to tell breed or mix.

·
Registered
207 Posts
And those DNA tests are VERY unreliable, I wouldn't suggest them as a "for sure" to tell breed or mix.
Sadly, this is true. I've heard stories of purebred/registered Bull Terriers coming back as mostly Border Collies, and Bull Mastiffs coming back has largely a Dachshund. It could have something to do with the relation of breeds, but more likely the DNA Testing is far from accurate and more likely a cash grab.

Whatever he is, I'd be confident in calling him a Lab X and loving him all the same :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts