Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My family rescued this giant love bug about 7 years ago (around 1 year old), he was found roaming the streets..
He is a big strong dog who's extremely protective of our house and family members, and even though he prefers to be laying on his couch or snuggling under blankets he is constantly barking at something he heard/smelled outside.. He is a fairly lazy dog but as he aged he never lost his puppy energy spurts..
People have suggested that he may be a cane corso mix based on his demeanor, size and general behavior, others suggest he is a lab/pit mix, or even a mastiff mix, which leaves me with more questions than answers..I really have no idea where to start when it comes to his breed especially since he was on the streets.
He is not a very tall dog but weighs in around 135lbs and our vet says he is in perfect health and size for his age. He has an extremely short coat and sheds these little eyelashes all over the house.. he drools a little , and a LOT when he drinks.
Any thoughts on a breed ? Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

·
Super Moderator
11,805 Posts
I'd guess lab/pit mix.

(Disclaimer: I am notoriously bad at breed guesses. I was dead certain our newest rescue was a Jack Russell/Shih-Tzu mix. (Some people are actually breeding that mix on purpose and calling them Jack-Tzus.) I was dead wrong. Embark says poodle, chihuahua, Boston terrier, Maltese and Havanese - so nearly everything EXCEPT Jack Russell or Shih-Tzu.)

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I'm seeing a whole lot of Lab, with maybe some type of bully breed.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
If he were smaller with the same features I'd say Lab x pit bull. Given his size there's probably something else in there, huh? A very large breed with a blocky head, short coat, and button/rose ears...maybe Rottweiler? I'd say Cane Corso but I feel like they're not common enough to be making many stray pups, let alone over seven years ago, so the odds are against it.

Cool dog.

·
Super Moderator
11,805 Posts
I knew a purebred (albeit probably poorly bred) black lab who ran over 130 pounds. My own black lab was 116 pounds at his ideal weight, so anything is possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts