Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of our dogs has been sick for a couple of months. She has a brain tumor. She is vestibular also, due to the tumor. The right side of her tongue doesn't work and it makes it very difficult for her to drink. She wants to drink, but it's hard for her to accomplish. I have tried holding a cup of water for her at an angel and it seems to help her some. I'm just wondering if there's a better way? Something that I haven't thought of. If any of you have had experience with this and have any suggestions, they would be appreciated. Thank you.
~Cherie

·
Super Moderator
11,634 Posts
Some dogs will drink from a water bottle - similar to the one you see in gerbil cages, but bigger.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Can she eat reasonably well? If so, adding water to all her food to make it about oatmeal consistency can work for some dogs who can't drink water. It's easier for them to lap up if it's mushy instead of liquid.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Can she eat? Sassy just didn't have the energy to lap up water as she aged and her kidneys lost function. Adding the ~3/4 ounce of water per pound of dog needed to her meals got enough into her. Maybe make up doggy jello with meat broth? Maybe feed her food more like oatmeal than kibble? I also gave her subcutaneous fluids but that probably isn't called for in this case.

·
Registered
9,378 Posts
Outta Left field - Brain issues may make sucking impossible... but many people forget that puppies suckle milk when they are young, so it is possible to feed a dog from a bottle... and even teach them to drink from a straw [Shep did this when he was 3yo, but he would chew on the straw, so we stopped.]....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts