Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a puppy last year and I have been curious ever since as to what breed she is. They told us Chesapeake Bay Retriever (which is obviously wrong). At almost 2 years old, she weighs 32lbs and is close to 20 inches tall. She has a thick feathery undercoat and a waterproof overcoat. Her feet are webbed as well. She has an extremely strong prey drive and a lot of energy. Though she is highly intelegent, we have trouble training her because she has no desire to please us at all. She likes to "talk" to us with chirps and groans. When she finds animals, she holds them softly without damaging them at all. If she can't catch the animal, she will point and bark.
Here is a video of her dancing https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KBHDIbNFZc
Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
If she is the brown dog, she could have Chesapeake in her with maybe a smaller bird dog like the Toller. Usually Retrievers are very easy to train.

·
Super Moderator
7,273 Posts
Definitely not a Toller, they only come in red with white markings. They're also pretty rare. I'd believe a Chessie cross.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I see some sort of spaniel mix? Springer x retriever? Just a guess.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
as a Toller owner..I do not see Toller, I could believe spaniel x though.

as Kuma's mom stated Tollers are red and white, not brown(totally different genetics involved). Tollers DO have off colours that pop up here and there, but brown is not one of them :p

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
I know of two dogs that looked like your dog. It was a planned litter. The people took a female field bred golden and bred it with a male chocolate lab. The female that I know could be your dogs twin. The male is bigger and heavier but other than that looks like your dog. One thing about the outcome of the breeding is that they did make great hunting dogs.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Kind of hard to tell in the video without seeing her face, but I would guess springer spaniel x retriever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts