Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I definitely think that she is part australian shepherd, but I am not sure about what else she could have in her! She weighs 55 lbs, 23 inches from paw to shoulder, and has a barrel chest. I have three pics here, one is just her face and the other two are body shots. Please post your opinions!
100_3710.jpg
100_3708.jpg
100_3661.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We thought that she was maybe part husky when we first rescued her, but I thought that a curly tail was a dominant gene? If she was husky we would definitely be able to see that curve would we?

·
Registered
212 Posts
It could be a dominate gene, but doesn't necessarily mean she'll get it. Even pure bred spitz type dogs and some smaller toy breeds that 99.9% of the time have curled tails, often end up just having straight tails that hang low and never curl (This can happen in offspring of two purebreds of the same breed such as two huskies. One of their offspring can have a curl-less, straight tail and vice versa with dogs that have straight tails like labs and shepherds, they can have offspring with curled tails- has happened with my borzoi. He's got a ring tail when his breed calls for a long 'sickle' shaped tail)
It's just the way genes work. You never know what you are going to get! Almost every pure bred we see today were bred by humans choosing features (some of these features being genetic mutations - ridgebacks for example)
Another example is the brown eye gene. If two parents both have brown eyes (which the bigger letter - more dominate) breed, their child (or one child or both, if they have two) can suddenly just have blue eyes...or green...which are both colors that are very less dominate than the brown eyes gene. You just never know.
But, I wont go on forever about this, because I could. lol!

But, having said all that....she might not even have husky in her at all. LOL!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts