Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,434 Posts
Yes, I think Piper was very much trying to injure Sophie. Going straight for the neck, not letting go, and drawing blood to the point of stitches? Yes, very purposefully trying to injure.

This most likely has nothing to do with dominance. She is probably genetically wired to be dog aggressive, and there is little you can do about it. She will probably always be DA, and I would not let her be around other dogs. I would train her to wear a basket muzzle when you go out for walks. Look into the Muzzle Up project which provides training tips to teach Piper that a muzzle is a good thing. Not only will it prevent her from damaging another dog, it will probably clue other dog owners in that your dog should not be approached.

I would also look into getting a positive, rewards-based trainer to help you train Piper some coping mechanisms that will make her easier to handle in situations where you encounter other dogs. This doesn't mean she will ever play safely with other dogs, but it is possible to train her to a point where you can walk her past other dogs and she will not try to attack.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts