Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a puppy in my yard on September 13, 2008. His eyes weren't even open yet when I found him. He is 5 months old now and I'm still trying to figure out what all he might have in him. I weighed him yesterday and he is currently 46.8 lbs at 5 months old. He is black and white (mostly black with white on his face, belly, feet, and the tip of his tail). He has the cutest ears that stick up and fall over right at the tip which is really funny because when he is glancing up at you his ears fall completely open. Also, his tail is tightly curled. Any guesses? I have attached a couple pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like there could be some BC there...what breed is the other dog in the picture?:)
oh the nose sticking in at the bottom of the one picture of me holding him? That is my 5 year old border collie mix. Ike is as big as she is already and the only thing they seem to have in common is the coloring.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
possible some lab or hound in there?....I'm not the best at this....there are some collie/bc people on here maybe they would have a better eye...stick around they will pop in :D

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
there is definitely a good bit of BC in there....i'm trying to think of what els could be there to give him his size, but definitely BC....here's my pup, Titch (well he's a yr old now) and you can see the distinct similarities in the face/expression (he weighs 43# and is 20")....maybe something like Pyrenees or Kuvasz (altho the latter not real likely)

·
Registered
4,355 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cute dog. You never know! I thought our dog Roy was mostly border collie (but he's 70 #!). However, DNA testing showed he is a total mutt. He is 30% dalmation, and then has DNA (less than 20%) for the following breeds: border collie, Great Dane, Bernese Mountain Dog, beagle.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
BC plus husky or Akita?
yeah, i could see the Akita being a possibility.....or Mal (rather than Husky, b/c of size).....

as for the DNA aspect....i'd kinda take that w/ a grain of salt....i just don't think that they're all that accurate, yet, unless you go the high priced route, not the cheek swab.....and, even then, w/ the fact that it took different breeds to create these breeds of today.......

also, keep in mind that the BC can range from 25-65#.....

·
Registered
472 Posts
border collie mix. karelian bear dogs are very, very rare, and it is extremely unlikely that there'd be a karelian bear dog wandering around impregnating random strays.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts