Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our family adopted Marlee a few weeks ago. We were told she was sired by a tri-color pitbull but there was no info on her mom. The original foster lady said she thought Marlee was likely a full pitbull. Various folks at the rescue have labeled her as an American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier or generic pitbull mix. We are trying to guess what size she may end up being as there is a lot of variation within the bully breeds, and there's even more to consider if she is a mix. She is 13.5 weeks and 18 pounds now. Any guesses on her breed?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
What a pretty girl! I'd go with APBT/AmStaff (there are lots of dual registered ones out there). Possibly American Bully, depending on what she looks like as she gets older.

My ABPT bitch is teensy, weighing about 38 pounds and stands 19" at the shoulders. I suspect that your girls will be bigger, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, LeoRose! I think Marlee was second smallest in her litter. We were told she probably wouldn't be more than 40 to 50 pounds max when we got her around 3 weeks ago. In that time, she has gained around 5 pounds and the vet is now guessing she might be 50-60ish pounds. It's fine regardless, but I think we'll have a larger girl than expected.

·
Registered
363 Posts
She is such a pretty pup. You could always do one of those DNA tests if you want to know exactly what her mix might be.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
She is such a pretty pup. You could always do one of those DNA tests if you want to know exactly what her mix might be.
I take those "guess the breeds in the mix" tests with a somewhat large grain of salt. I've seen some pretty improbable results, like my 22" tall, 48#, super athletic, could jump a six foot fence, and turn on a dime and give nine cents change "bulldog mix".

Also, since the companies or some reason claim that the American Pit Bull Terrier isn't really a breed, they don't have marker results for them, but instead pull up the most closely related breed, usually AmStaff (as I said, there are lots of dual registered dogs) or Staffy Bull.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Our family adopted Marlee a few weeks ago. We were told she was sired by a tri-color pitbull but there was no info on her mom. The original foster lady said she thought Marlee was likely a full pitbull. Various folks at the rescue have labeled her as an American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier or generic pitbull mix. We are trying to guess what size she may end up being as there is a lot of variation within the bully breeds, and there's even more to consider if she is a mix. She is 13.5 weeks and 18 pounds now. Any guesses on her breed?
It is very hard to tell in puppies, when she's older might get a better idea of if and what she's mixed with. At this point she does look like a Pit pup. If you ever get an Embark DNA test done I'd like to see results. Far as adult size based on her current weight I'd say probably in the 40s but can't predict with certainty.

I take those "guess the breeds in the mix" tests with a somewhat large grain of salt. I've seen some pretty improbable results, like my 22" tall, 48#, super athletic, could jump a six foot fence, and turn on a dime and give nine cents change "bulldog mix".

Also, since the companies or some reason claim that the American Pit Bull Terrier isn't really a breed, they don't have marker results for them, but instead pull up the most closely related breed, usually AmStaff (as I said, there are lots of dual registered dogs) or Staffy Bull.
Embark required registered, pedigreed APBT for their reference panel. They treat them like any other breed. If OP is okay getting AST result even though the dog might not have those lines they could opt for a cheaper test to at least get an idea. Which I would say Wisdom Panel for cheaper test. I've only heard of a couple others, have never used them but pretty bad results and apparently limited reference panels and lacl of markers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback, all! We have considered DNA testing and might try it out to satisfy our curiosity, but it isn't a priority. We mostly want to have an idea of how she'll turn out, which we'll see soon enough. If we get testing done, I'll post results!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I asked our vet what he thought of our puppy when we got him (about 12 weeks old) and he just laughed and said ask me again in a year. Its so hard to tell when they're small and will eventually grow out to their full features giving you a much better idea. Then again the pups behavior will help you gauge his breed as well. As for the DNA testing be careful, a lot of them will come back saying "60% mix" with a few smaller percentages of certain breeds.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts