Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello dog-lovers!

As I joined the forum, people helped me to choose between Jack Russel and Basenji.:help: Both of them are small so I would be able to easily travel:plane:, very cute and active, I thought:redface:. However, as found out, they do not suit me (Thank you who gave advises!). My GF has male Jack Russel, so I have to choose female:kiss: as he is very aggressive to other males. Both Jack Russel and Basenji are not advised to first time dog owner like me as they are very hard to train. So in the end I come to conclusion to take Rat Terrier:peace:. What do you think of them?

And do you have any good tips/advises for first time dog owner? Please write to me or just send the link, I am trying to collect them. Here is what I have, please enjoy who want:pop2:: http://45.gs/all-things-dogs

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Usually terriers are not recommended for first time owners. What are you looking for in a dog?
Rat Terriers aren't at all typical terriers. They're not hard headed and they don't have crazy prey-drive. They're actually pretty biddable and soft, and they've got a good off switch and can adapt to almost any home. They're actually all purpose farm dogs, in function, rather than ratters - yeah, I know, irony, right? - and while they will hunt they won't kill the chickens and can and do herd some (light herding, but herding). They're way more moderate and agreeable than a JRT or similar. They are, at worst, mildly 'passive aggressive' rather than outright not caring (ie: "I don't wannnna bath" doesn't result in my dog pitching a fit, just being deadweight and not cooperative).

I have one. I love him. Most I've met are pretty similar to him in being a very well rounded, well balanced dog who will hike for 15 miles or spend months napping on the couch - could be owned by a serious sports home or a little old lady who wants a lapdog. They're just very adaptable.

Tips/advice, I'd honestly just say be gentle, be compassionate to the dog, be consistent, and set your goals on what you want the dog to be like as a 2 year old and work toward that. Expect it to take itme, expect there to be set backs, and stick with it and you will be rewarded. Get impatient and look for immediate results and you'll be frustrated and regret it.

And teach the dog to learn ASAP. Load a clicker, teach sit, whatever, but learning to 'do things for reward' is the most important thing the dog needs to learn. That's the gateway to everything else.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Really? Im looking just to fulfil my dream as I always wanted to have a dog. Think I just want to have a 4-leg-friend.
Rat Terriers aren't common outside of the US, but if you can find one you'll be fine. Like I said above, they're not very... terrier-y terriers. (They aren't the hyper, stubborn, super high drive, prey-driven, dogs people associate with terriers).

And here, have a picture or three.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rat Terriers aren't at all typical terriers. They're not hard headed and they don't have crazy prey-drive. They're actually pretty biddable and soft, and they've got a good off switch and can adapt to almost any home. They're actually all purpose farm dogs, in function, rather than ratters - yeah, I know, irony, right? - and while they will hunt they won't kill the chickens and can and do herd some (light herding, but herding). They're way more moderate and agreeable than a JRT or similar. They are, at worst, mildly 'passive aggressive' rather than outright not caring (ie: "I don't wannnna bath" doesn't result in my dog pitching a fit, just being deadweight and not cooperative).

I have one. I love him. Most I've met are pretty similar to him in being a very well rounded, well balanced dog who will hike for 15 miles or spend months napping on the couch - could be owned by a serious sports home or a little old lady who wants a lapdog. They're just very adaptable.

Tips/advice, I'd honestly just say be gentle, be compassionate to the dog, be consistent, and set your goals on what you want the dog to be like as a 2 year old and work toward that. Expect it to take itme, expect there to be set backs, and stick with it and you will be rewarded. Get impatient and look for immediate results and you'll be frustrated and regret it.

And teach the dog to learn ASAP. Load a clicker, teach sit, whatever, but learning to 'do things for reward' is the most important thing the dog needs to learn. That's the gateway to everything else.
Wow, so many good stuff! Thank you for your advices!
Its especially good to hear from Rat Terrier owner. Think RT is just exactly what I need)Im too very active and travel a lot, so need very adaptive dog.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Rat Terriers aren't common outside of the US, but if you can find one you'll be fine. Like I said above, they're not very... terrier-y terriers. (They aren't the hyper, stubborn, super high drive, prey-driven, dogs people associate with terriers).

Very nice dog u have!!! I also like that they aren't the hyper, stubborn, super high drive, prey-driven!)

And here, have a picture or three.

cant stop looking at him!) very beautiful dog!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.