Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Meh. Not the type of food I typically go for. All the peas/chickpeas/lentils aren't really my thing. Foods like that tend to produce tons of gas and huge stools in my dogs so I typically avoid it. I tend to stick with foods with more simple oldschool ingredients. Just my personal experience with my dogs though.

I use Farmina sometimes (I've only tried the one with grains) and am I always happy with it when I use a bag. Like the simple chicken/grain combo for my dogs

·
Registered
83 Posts
I like the brand in general. Dogs seem to find the food palatable and do very well on them. Good coats, good energy, good weights. I like that they have a full-time PhD nutritionist formulating their recipes. Their limited ingredient formulas have been a godsend for some dogs I know.

If I was to feed it, I would stick to the fit + free (now Carnivore) line or the grain-inclusive formulas.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input everyone!

Mutts, I don't know what grain inclusive options there are?

And generally speaking, I like that they have that high protein option, a ton of animal proteins among the first few ingredients, high % animal protein in general, and high calorie content. Brae gets as much as a great dane according to the bag (~2200 kcals a day) and that's just to maintain his weight at 75#.

·
Registered
83 Posts
They have a grain-inclusive chicken, lamb, duck and salmon I believe? They are lower protein/fat and single protein source typically, but same/higher calories per cup. Probably not the right fit for you but still a good option for a less active/regular pet dog or a dog that requires a more moderate protein level. :)

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Yes. I feed the Fit + Free Chicken & Turkey Adult, which is being replaced with Go! Solutions Carnivore Grain Free Chicken, Turkey + Duck Adult Recipe. All three of my dogs love it - it is the only kibble that I have fed that Ida will actually take in training.

However, it is the only GO! formula that I feed. The rest are too low in protein/fat for my crew, and more prone to legume splitting.. My general rule is the first two ingredients have to be meat, and there can't be more legume items than meat items in the first 10 ingredients, and Go! adult fit that criteria even before the reformulation.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you both for weighing in!
I can't find Chicken, Turkey, Duck except a formula for cats. The one I posted is Chicken, Turkey, Trout. Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Thank you both for weighing in!
I can't find Chicken, Turkey, Duck except a formula for cats. The one I posted is Chicken, Turkey, Trout. Is that what you mean?
The Chicken/Turkey/Trout formula is the bag I have right now, but that is being replaced with the "Carnivore" Chicken/Turkey/Duck. Which is the same formula, based on the ingredients, just with a different name and slightly different branding (and Chewy confirms they are the same:
New look, same great formula! This product has recently gone through a packaging change from "Go! Fit + Free" to "Go! Solutions Carnivore". Customers may receive the old packaging during this transition.
https://www.chewy.com/go-fit-free-grain-free-chicken-turkey/dp/40450

New bag:
go-solutions-carnivora-gf-chicken-turkey-duck-adult-recipe.jpg

Chicken meal, turkey meal, salmon meal, de-boned chicken, de-boned turkey, de-boned trout, potatoes, peas, tapioca, lentils, chickpeas, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), duck meal, natural chicken flavour, whole dried egg, apples, herring meal, salmon oil, alfalfa, de-boned duck, de-boned salmon, sweet potatoes, flaxseed, potassium chloride, pumpkin, carrots, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, broccoli, blackberries, squash, papayas, pomegranate, dried chicory root, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, dried Bacillus subtilis fermentation extract, choline chloride, vitamins (vitamin A supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (a source of vitamin C), d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), minerals (zinc proteinate, iron proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc oxide, manganese proteinate, copper sulphate, ferrous sulphate, calcium iodate, manganous oxide, selenium yeast), sodium chloride, taurine, yucca schidigera extract, dried rosemary, green tea extract, peppermint, parsley, rosehips, zedoary, dandelion, chamomile, ginger, fennel, turmeric, juniper berries, licorice, marigold extract, cardamom, cloves.

Calorie Content: ME = 3951 kcal/kg or 435 kcal/cup

Old packaging:
GO-Dog-FF-Adult-ChickTurkTrout.png

I'll take a photo of the ingredients list on the old bag when I get home, but I'm pretty sure they're almost identical. The caloric content is definitely the same.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Neat! I think there are some formulas that are not available in the USA. But the chicken/turkey/trout one is the one I'm going to try. It's nice to hear that things are mostly staying the same despite the formula change.

My problem with Victor is they kept the change pretty hush, claimed in the FAQ section of their website (hidden towards the bottom) that the formula change was to lower calcium, the change of ingredient order was pretty significant, and calorie dropped from 475 to 401. I'm not saying Victor is bad... It just feels very shady to me.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Neat! I think there are some formulas that are not available in the USA. But the chicken/turkey/trout one is the one I'm going to try. It's nice to hear that things are mostly staying the same despite the formula change.

My problem with Victor is they kept the change pretty hush, claimed in the FAQ section of their website (hidden towards the bottom) that the formula change was to lower calcium, the change of ingredient order was pretty significant, and calorie dropped from 475 to 401. I'm not saying Victor is bad... It just feels very shady to me.
FWIW, I bought a bag of the "old" version of the food exactly a month ago, so it's definitely a recent switch. Plus, it's a Canadian Company that's only one province away from me (close, in Canadian dog terms!), so it makes sense that I would have access to the new formulas sooner than people south of the border.

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That doesn't look too different at all!
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with this food :D

·
Registered
7,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just thought I'd update. Brae's been on Go for 1.5 months, with part of that being 50/50 Victor as I used up the rest of Victor. I have no problems with the food. But I do think I can find something Brae could do better on. His stool on Go! is very much like how it was on Orijen. It was by all means GOOD. Very formed. But soft. His stool was better on Victor's old formula.

I have no qualms about finishing the bag or giving it longer. But I'm going to experiment with Farmina and see if that makes a difference.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts