Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gack, my dog might have to have stomach surgery for a foreign object. Has ANYONE had any experience with this? I am a little freaked.

I am looking for any input on stomach surgeries. How long was the surgery itself? Did you scope beforehand? How long the recovery? What do you wish you had done differently? Anything I need to think of ahead of time to discuss with the vet tomorrow... (dog will have x-rays and another vet consult tomorrow am and from then we willdecide what to do next)

IF you want the full back story see the "dog throws up 1x about every other day for a week, what would cause?" thread.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I had a dog swallow a rubber squeaky football. I had to have him cut open to have it removed. He was a crazy lab. The surgery mildly bummed him out for a day. Then it was a fight to keep him quiet. The surgery was barely a bump in the road for him.

It was such a non-event that I have no regrets other that letting him play with the football. I didn't have him scoped.

In my case, the procedure was no more troubling than a neuter.

·
Registered
511 Posts
When my JRT was around 4 she suddenly stopped eating and pooping. I took her to 3 different vets and they had no clue. Then she started crying out in pain and I took her to a 4th vet. They did surgery for an intestinal blockage and removed I think 7 feet of intestines. Turned out she had swallowed a tampon and it had expanded inside her. First it blocked her stomach then passed through the intestines, ripping and tearing as it went. She was in the hospital for about 4-5 days. When she came home she was fine and lived another 10 yaers without any more problems. I would think the stomach surgery is much less serious so your dog shold be fine pretty quickly.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys! good to hear. I'm currently playing phone tag with the vet. Her last message was xray of this am looks good, barium has moved through (but not sure if passed on out) and she is sending all images, notes and blood tests restult to local emergi clinic to get a second opinion and to see if they see anything. fwiw the emergi vet has a scope (my vet doesn't) so we'd be using them if we needed a scope. Emergi vet also has surgens that could do the surgery if it warrent.... My vet couldn't operate today... is booked.... So I'm waiting to hear back. Vet's message did say all bloodwork looks normal and that we are still waiting for results from fecal sent out yesterday...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no surgery, no scope. Plan is to treat for IBS and Giardia and hope like H*$! that a funny long object gets passed that would explain all of the vomiting. I'm to switch her off her regular food and onto Purina Hypoallergenic kibble and Science Diet canned hypoallergenic food hopefully only for short term. My vet did warn me that I woudl be horrified by the ingrediants lables on these "foods" and she was right. Yuck. but she felt that going to a hydrolyzed protein source for a short while could help..... ugh. And if alls well by Thursday I'm to give Panacur for 5 days to treat the positive eliza on the Giardia. I'm also giving a new anti vomiting med (Metoclopramide) and I'm to call the vet every day and give her a status report.

hate.this.food. better work.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
no surgery, no scope. Plan is to treat for IBS and Giardia and hope like H*$! that a funny long object gets passed that would explain all of the vomiting. I'm to switch her off her regular food and onto Purina Hypoallergenic kibble and Science Diet canned hypoallergenic food hopefully only for short term. My vet did warn me that I woudl be horrified by the ingrediants lables on these "foods" and she was right. Yuck. but she felt that going to a hydrolyzed protein source for a short while could help..... ugh. And if alls well by Thursday I'm to give Panacur for 5 days to treat the positive eliza on the Giardia. I'm also giving a new anti vomiting med (Metoclopramide) and I'm to call the vet every day and give her a status report.

hate.this.food. better work.
I'm glad your dog came through ok. Having a foreign body can be tricky. Things can get twisted or stuck and can cause necrosis of tissue.

I would also suggest using some probiotics to help your dog's digestive system recover. I used to have an article on IBD and probiotics but don't know where it is. I usually use Udo's probiotics for adults (intestinal health one) and sprinkle a bit of the powder on my pets'food. There is one for yeast so make sure you get the intestinal one. There are ones specially made for pets like Geneflora.

Hope your dog is ok...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My dog has taken a probiotic every day for the past 2 years.... I use people variety that I get a WholeFoods in the cold section. But I've ordered a dog variety (vet recomended) through Amazon and will switch to that once it arrives tomorrow. I've used FortaFlora in the past but b/c it is a powder it tends to gunk up in my dogs beard as I add a titch of water to her food. So I;d switched to people probiotics about a year ago.....

Of course now that the vet has us on this horrible Science Diet canned (along with the Purina HA) 3x a day her beard is a mess. I can hardly keep up with it.

but a dirty beard is better than a sick dog anyday. She's bouncing off the walls and is almost uncontrollable at meal time. I suspect that this food elaves her feeling far more hungry than the TOTW did. Or maybe she's making up for the fact that she's not eaten from Friday til Tuesday...

I was flumuxed when the vets orders were to feed my dog 3 cups of kibble and a whole can of food per day and to "break it up into smaller meals" ...sicne that was about 4x the ammount my dog nprmally eats (by volume) On her TOTW she eats 1.5 cups a day divided into 2 meals and 3 frozen kongs.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
back to throwing up last night at midnight. so far everything staying down today. but i fed much smaller amounts..... may end up scoping......

1 - 10 of 10 Posts