Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a weird post, but a very long and convoluted story short, I'm considering dog training to be a possible career choice for myself. I've been doing a lot of video watching, reading, and browsing and find myself with a lot of questions. I've always found the best way to learn new things is to do the above as well as get some contacts you can talk to to discuss concepts and ideas with, as nothing goes farther for my learning process than talking directly to a person.

I was just wondering if there are any professional dog trainers in the (dog? ;)) house who wouldn't mind talking on AIM or MSN to ask questions to, find out how they got started in dog training, and just chat on the subject of dogs and training. Again I apologize if this sounds weird, but I've found that networking with people who know their stuff to be by far the fastest way to learn new things :) (this also prevents me from making a new post every time I have a question... don't want to spam the boards ;))

Reply or PM me if you're willing to talk dog training :D. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
It would be more beneficial to other people to discuss those questions here, don't you think? A great thing about a forum is other people can find the post later and learn from it too.

What sort of things did you want to chat about?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be more beneficial to other people to discuss those questions here, don't you think? A great thing about a forum is other people can find the post later and learn from it too.

What sort of things did you want to chat about?
I'm just going through Before You Get Your Puppy right now and I find myself quite frequently wanting to ask basic and general questions (often with one sentence answers) and don't want to be posting 30 threads per day. I would still post big questions or things I wanted to discuss on the forums, it just eliminates me making 20 threads for simple questions.

I also find chatting one on one to be much faster and in general, more effective, than posting on forums when it comes to learning a new subject.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Just post stuff here. If you chat you only get one opinion. If you post you get several. And all of them except mine will be wrong. I'm just telling you in advance. :)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Make a list and post it. Or maybe someone will IM you.

I'm sure other people have had the same questions you have. You might try searching for them as well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just post stuff here. If you chat you only get one opinion. If you post you get several. And all of them except mine will be wrong. I'm just telling you in advance. :)
Well the plan is to meet more than one dog training friend which leads to multiple opinions and then I can sift through them myself. I simply prefer chatting one on one because I can ask a question, get a response and ask more questions within 60 seconds and have a real conversation about a topic, as opposed to the format that forum posting leads to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts