Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in july we are going to be going back to wisconsin ( from california) for a family reunion. Now, the thing is im trying to figure out what i am going to do. I have thought of baording but i know it is pretty expensive from what i hear and it would be for 2 dogs. I was also thinking of the option of taking the dogs with us. The thing is, we will be gone for about 12 days. We have never traveled long distance with dogs and when the time comes snow would only be about 8-9 months old.

So, my question is what do people think the best bet would be i guess, would it be ok to take Snow since she will still be young. Or if i should try to board them, as we dont have anyone around we trust enough to come feed the dogs, take them out and such.

And does anyone know of any good website to find dog friendly places while traveling?

Thanks in advance :) trying to get this figured out before July comes so im not running around like a chicken with my head cut off! :laugh:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi!

I have done a lot of long distance traveling with our dogs - and with rescue dogs (we do a lot of rescue transport). If your dogs don't have anxiety issues with being in the car - I say take them! I find that stopping every hour or two for a 5 minute break is really helpful. It lets them stretch their legs and possibly go to the bathroom, it's also a good time to offer them some water. Every four hours we have always taken a half hour to forty-five minute break to walk them and really let them stretch out.

Rest stops can be great for that if your dog has all of their puppy shots (which by that time yours will!) but we have also used random parks we have found and petsmart/petco type stores. They need to have water throughout the day but I have always limited mine on just how much they get because traveling with a full stomach is sometimes not the brightest idea for dogs.

http://www.petswelcome.com/ is a pretty good resource on finding pet friendly places to stay. My dogs really enjoy coming with us on road trips! Traveling with two should be a lot easier than traveling with five!

Bea

·
Registered
21 Posts
I assume you mean you're driving?

When I moved from California to Georgia, we drove here, and had two cats and a dog. We drove a mini van, and it was two people and the animals. We basically just kept litter box in the van for the cats, and then whenever we stopped we let the dog out (at rest stops and such). There are also travel water and food dishes that have lips to keep the water from sloshing out when you drive.

As far as places to stay, just check if the hotel accommodates pets. You can usually find some that do (although there may be additional fees).

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I travel all over the country with our two dogs. My husband has a job that requires him to travel all over the states. Most motels will allow dogs with a charge of $10 per dog. Some have size restrictions, others don't. If your dogs don't mind riding in a car, then it won't be a problem. Just make sure you stop every few hours at a rest area and let them have bathroom breaks, exercise time and food/water time.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
We've travelled from California to Washington State and back a couple of times with the dogs, and we've gone to SoCal as well. I agree with the others, stop every couple of hours for even just a few minutes to water and walk them. Stop for 30-45 minutes after you feed them. If they travel well in the car it won't be a big deal. It will take longer than just driving through, but it's better for you, too, to stop frequently.

I would try to plan ahead to find motels/hotels that will take the dogs without a problem. Www.dogfriendly.com has a search function for dog friendly hotels, parks, etc.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
i have traveled from WI to GA w/ 4 dogs (2 adult and 2 4 mo old pups)....we stayed in hotels while in GA and we were gone a total of 5 days.....the same yr i went there, i also went to CA w/ my sister and 4 dogs (one of them one of the 4 mo olds then about 9 mo) and stayed w/ family for a total of a 10 day trip.....the same the last 2 yrs and will be doing it again this April w/ 5 dogs......
the dogs got out at each gas stop and got to play about 20 min about 1/2 way thru the drive each day on the road.....watered (lightly) at each stop, as well and fed at mealtimes (we didn't wait for any length of time after they ate, but mine are used to eating while driving)....

if your dogs are used to car rides and don't get car sick, they should do fine....make sure they are welcome where you are going, tho....

i will not board my dogs and i don't trust anyone to watch them for me so this is the way it is if i'm going to see family....we travel in a mini van that is open in the back

·
Premium Member
8,891 Posts
Just load em up and go...... I have had dogs that traveled over 100 thousand miles in their lives. Heck I bet Merlin has over 70 thousand right now.

If your dogs are not used to riding start short trips right now.

A couple things to remember.....

Bring water from home or buy bottled water for the dogs.

Bring two copies of all shot and vet records.

Make sure you have all license tags and that your cell number is on the info for their chip.

Make sure you leash the dogs before they exit the car.

La Quinta does not charge a dog fee and is the most dogfriendly chain out there. I have probably a couple hundred nights in La Quintas. Never had a dog issue.

·
Registered
184 Posts
We traveled from OH to TX and back with three people and three dogs. We took three days to get there and three days to get home. Had a great time :) Here's some pictures of our adventure: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.443663075849.229567.713490849&type=3

Have also traveled shorter distances (one day drives of 4-12 hours or so in the car then several days to a week atour destination) with the dogs many times. Whimsy went from OH to WI, about a 12-13 hour drive and back when she was 3 or 4 months old. I think travel is a great way to socialize puppies :)

A few things to think about would be...

- pottying - almost all chances to potty the dogs on a long trip are on leash, sometimes in just a patch of grass. Be sure your dog is accustomed to "going" and doing so quickly while on lead. Training them to potty on cue is a huge benefit when traveling.

- you'll probably want crates for the dogs at the hotel and make sure you ask about any pet fees or limits upfront. We generally don't leave the dogs in the hotel room, except at a National but generally it's best to crate them at night then risk them having an accident in the room or chewing something up.

- make sure your dogs are accustomed to being in the car and comfortable however they are going to travel (crates, seatbelts, loose, etc).

- pack with murphy's law in mind - make sure you have plenty of clean up stuff, extra everything! Make sure you bring extra food, extra collars (with ID and multiple numbers), extra leashes, extra towels, etc. Bring proof of a current rabies vaccine. I find Flexis and long lines extremely useful in traveling to let the dogs get some exercise in when there's no safe off leash places for days and days.

- make sure you plan activities and stops with the dogs in mind. We do leave the dogs in the car while we eat and what not but we make sure to schedule meals when it isn't going to be too hot. On the Oh-TX roadtrip, we mostly picked places to stop and sightsee that we could take the dogs to, although they did sit in the van while we went on the Churchill Downs tour. This gets much harder in the summer months - plan to eat packed foods, take out or fast food until it gets dark.

- train for it! Practice car manners now, namely that the dogs can't get out of their car or out of their crate or both without a release cue. This alone makes traveling with dogs much less stressful.

This blog post has some good info on traveling with dogs: http://roadsidenut.wordpress.com/how-to-travel-with-dogs/

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
pottying - almost all chances to potty the dogs on a long trip are on leash, sometimes in just a patch of grass. Be sure your dog is accustomed to "going" and doing so quickly while on lead. Training them to potty on cue is a huge benefit when traveling.
This! My dog doesn't have a problem with peeing on-leash, as long as it's familiar territory. The thought of a multi-day road trip with her makes me want to die inside because she's so reluctant to pee in new locations. We've been trying to teach her to go on cue and it's sort of helping. Most dogs are not "special" like mine so I'm sure yours won't have that particular issue, but since you have plenty of time before your big trip, I would highly recommend putting potty on cue (supposedly this is actually easy for most dogs to learn, especially with a clicker).

·
Registered
246 Posts
This! My dog doesn't have a problem with peeing on-leash, as long as it's familiar territory. The thought of a multi-day road trip with her makes me want to die inside because she's so reluctant to pee in new locations. We've been trying to teach her to go on cue and it's sort of helping. Most dogs are not "special" like mine so I'm sure yours won't have that particular issue, but since you have plenty of time before your big trip, I would highly recommend putting potty on cue (supposedly this is actually easy for most dogs to learn, especially with a clicker).
I wouldn't anticipate an issue there because they're not likely to have an accident in a small space like the car. After the hold it long enough, aren't they bound to burst as soon as you let them out of the car?

I do think it's a good idea to allow for a fair bit of extra travel time when traveling with dogs. I'd take lots of time to stop along the way and have some leisurely strolls. Especially if I can find some woodsy spots to stop and explore a bit.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I wouldn't anticipate an issue there because they're not likely to have an accident in a small space like the car. After the hold it long enough, aren't they bound to burst as soon as you let them out of the car?
You would think so, but no, at least not with our "special" girl. We've driven 7 hours, with stops and water breaks along the way, only to arrive at our destination and have our dog continue to refuse to go to the bathroom for another 5-6 hours after dinner and more water. It becomes a battle of wills and we have to keep her on a leash indoors and watch her VERY carefully until she relents. She really has to go, and is obviously uncomfortable and unhappy, but just. doesn't. want. to. The exception is once when we took her to the beach, we drove 6 hours and she hopped right out of the car and immediately peed in a receding wave (but wouldn't go anywhere else no matter how hard we tried), so maybe it's a scent thing and she's nervous about leaving her scent in unfamiliar locations. Who knows what's going on in her little doggy head; maybe she was mistreated by her former owner. I will say things have improved a lot. When we first adopted her (at 7 months) she wouldn't pee on leash at all, and at one point went a full 24 hours.

It's not like she'll pee in the car (although I've heard of dogs doing that), more that the whole thing is really stressful. Training to go on cue would eliminate a big source of stress.

·
Registered
943 Posts
The longest I've travelled with my dogs was over a 2 day period and about a 12 hr drive total there and 12 hours back..not too bad, and my Shiba is a great traveller...

It would really depend on the dog I guess, My Mom drove from Calgary, Alberta to Largo, Florida with 3 pomeranians, she didn't have issues :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I agree with the poster that recommended "load em up and go" and bring the proper provisions and vet documentation. I have travelled plenty with a shepherd and lhaso and once we hit the highway they go into hibernation mode. Both of mine have seperation anxiety and seem to appreciate when they can tag along and behave fine.

Presuming your dogs are social types, have them join the family reunion.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks everyone! and yes we are driving, hehe dad is not one for flying, at all.

I am really not to fond of boarding either but the family wanted me to look into it. Then they were trying to convince me to let my sister boyfriend watch them... i wouldnt trust that guy to look after an ant so it looks like the dogs are going a long road trip! im sure they will enjoy cause they are both valcro dogs and love to go place. They give us, the look if they cant go somewhere with us.

Thanks for all the tips as well. Will keep all of it in mind. Will make sure to get copies of all their vet work, and will most likely buy some sort of little, folder type thing to keep it all in. The stopping wont be an issue as well since, my 3 year old son is going, he likes to get out alot. Plus we never rush when it comes to traveling, we take our time so there will be no worries there.

Again thanks everyone :)

aleron: you have very pretty dogs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts