Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rescued Daniel, an adorable Treeing Walker Coonhound. Pic below. :)

I've had beagles and a hound X in the past (all competed in obedience and agility) but he's my first coonhound. Just wondering if there were any other coonhound folks here--I have a few specific questions! Thanks!

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Aw he is adorable. I don't have a coonhound, but my neighbor used to have an american/english coonhound (red ticked), a friend of mine has a Bluetick Coonhound (my fave coonhound), and I know a guy with a bunch of Black and Tan coonhounds.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I don't, I've had a foxhound but I know someone on FB who has fostered many for his rescue. If you're on FB, look up The London Sanctuary.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi! Our girl is a TWC, at least that we were told by the gentleman we adopted her from. Anyway, we've only had her for a bit over two months, so we're definitely "new" to the breed as well. Just wanted to say hi :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Yeahhhhup! Your guy is so handsome!

I've grown up around Coonhounds, mostly Redbones, though I've been around quite a few Walkers as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
He's gorgeous! Back in March, I rescued a puppy who was believed to be part beagle and part treeing walker coonhound (they weren't sure as they never met the parents). I'm still unsure. At almost 7 months old, Abby is about 19 inches tall (16" at the shoulder), so bigger than a beagle and a longer body/longer legs than a beagle. I asked a few coonhound experts and some believe she could be an English Redtick Coonhound, possibly with a little Foxhound in her. I've seen some pics of her and her sisters at 8 weeks old. One actually looks like a black & tan coonhound (or bluetick?), two look like redbone coonhounds, and another is tricolor and looks more like a TWC.

Here are a few pics of her:

SAM_1273.jpg

SAM_1404.jpg

SAM_1545.jpg
(she's stooping a little in this one as I was about to measure her and she's a little skittish of the tape measure, lol)

It's a bit hard to tell from the pics, but she's got a bit of that ticking which makes me suspect she has some redtick coonhound in her.

·
Registered
28 Posts
He's adorable, Alice! I can definitely see the black & tan coonhound in him. :) My first dog was a beagle/german shepherd mix. She was such a doll, we even used to walk her off-leash. She'd stay by our side all the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Daniel is adorable! One of my four pups is a Treeing Walker Coonhound/German Shorthair Pointer mix and I have fostered several Coonhounds over the past few years. Walkers and Redbones seem to be the ones that come my way the most often recently. I love the personalities of both.

·
Registered
87 Posts
He's adorable, Alice! I can definitely see the black & tan coonhound in him. :) My first dog was a beagle/german shepherd mix. She was such a doll, we even used to walk her off-leash. She'd stay by our side all the time.
I'm blessed to have him in my life. Seriously, best dog I've ever had. He can hang in the back yard or at my grandparents farm leash-less and he's not going to go anywhere. We've taught my (now foster) other dog to do the same. She keeps chewing through her lead but manages to hang on the porch the entire time waiting for us to let her back in.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Wow she looks just like the TWC I had for a few months growing up (except his facial patches were Black)-- Mine used to howl terribly when tethered, and got into to trouble for chasing the neighbors cows, my parents rehomed him.. twice-- the first time he walked home 80miles.... I remember he was a sweet dog. Not aggressive at all...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Thanks for responding! Sorry I haven't checked back until now. :) Daniel is doing great other than his carsickness (see thread in health forum) and his fence jumping. I am fairly sure (fingers crossed, not getting too cocky!) that we have the latter licked--here is a video of Project Alcatraz, the raising of my 4 foot picket fence to 5 feet (while also eliminating places to grab and pull on):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iOm3ekH9wc

I also upscaled the existing digging barriers, put there b/c of Sam (the short, squat one who is probably Corgi/JRT or some such combo), and over the weekend we had several successful 2-3 hour tests. Today I'm gone for 11 hours so fingers are firmly crossed. He has plenty of company and I hope he will STAY PUT!

Here he is hanging out in the house: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7A9yDE4Trs

and with some of his many toys: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPy-82Q0mdI

He sure is a sweetheart! He's great w/ the other dogs, including elderly Sophie, and with the cats. He has never had an accident in the house and had borne his confinement like a champ. He had a bleeding episode following his neuter which was caused either by warfarin poisoning or Rocky Mountain Spotted fever (low titer), and was treated for both, but the blood filled the scrotum and caused the incision to open, so he was wearing undies and an e-collar for almost 2 weeks and couldn't have been in the yard off lead even if he hadn't jumped the fence. So he was crated 11 hours a day, which I hated to do, but he was great about it.

I've always loved the little hounds--now I get to love a bigger hound too! :)

·
Registered
693 Posts
We had a Basset/Beagle mix named Harvey who wondered into our yard last year, but he went to the rainbow bridge. Then we got a beagle x named Opie. He looks like a red tick typical beagle, but his legs are long, which makes me believe hes mixed with something else.

I love him, but hes very stubborn, which is common is beagles. ;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We had a Basset/Beagle mix named Harvey who wondered into our yard last year, but he went to the rainbow bridge. Then we got a beagle x named Opie. He looks like a red tick typical beagle, but his legs are long, which makes me believe hes mixed with something else.

I love him, but hes very stubborn, which is common is beagles. ;)
Actually, I can't agree with that at all! Beagles/hounds are only "stubborn" if you aren't reinforcing them with something they want! Clicker training is wonderful for all dogs but the ones who are typically considered "stubborn" benefit even more. My beagles competed in agility and obedience and achieved many titles--and they did it all with joy! They also had rock-solid off-lead recalls. Daniel is learning very quickly--he's already offering automatic sits and has a super-fast down. :) It's all about the treats!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts