Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys :wave:

Cosmo has been rather uneventful (turned 2 in June), and is literally the easiest pet I have ever owned. He's so well behaved I can't remember the last time I had to yell at him to stop that or say no, he just listens.

My computer on the other hand, well it needs to be bopped on the nose.

I have been playing the old classic Roller Coaster Tycoon, and figured since I finally had a laptop/computer capable of playing it, I bought Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 and started playing it for the first time. Well 10 minutes later, bam, computer shut off and was hot as can be.

I do play on my bed, but the computer sits on a Targus Cooling pad, with it angled completely up, giving it 5 inches of clearance off of the bed, with nothing blocking the cooling fans, or the side vents on the laptop itself.

It's a 2012 Toshiba Satellite P850 running Windows 7, with an Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.30 GHz (quad core), 16 GB of DDR3 ram (corsair vengeance), NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M graphic card, with a 750GB hhd. Basically, it shouldn't even be breaking a sweat with this game. The fans haven't been cleaned in a while, but I gave them a look over, including removing the back to inspect, and there's no Cosmo hair in there, they are pretty well clean.

Anyone having any advice on how to get this computer to cool down? Within ten minutes it's at 95% of CPU operating temp on the health monitor, if I play this game, which came out in 2006......

I tried playing it again today, and the only way I kept it from shutting down, was putting ice packs underneath the cooling pad fans....

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Try to look at the resource monitor before and after starting the game and see what's happening resource wise. It sounds to me that something is using all your resources and causing your CPU to run a lot. I know nothing about your particular setup but you can go into the system area and see if all the memory is being seen. It just may be possible that there's a lot of stuff being loaded onto the memory and causing your cpu to work harder (bloatware). If you are somewhat computer savy you can go into the configuration and see what is loading up. Unfortunately, my son has a Toshiba laptop and I am totally unimpressed by it (sorry) compared to the HP that my other son has - same low end equivalent. It could also be windows 7 being a resource hog, maybe try upgrading to windows 10 and see if that helps at all.

It can also be your hardware is having issues as well, maybe try reseating the memory.

Sorry, I can't be of too much help but these are what I would look at.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I know zip about computers but I showed my son your post.
He said:
Sounds like your processor is over heating.
Check to make sure your fan & heat sink are free of dust
and the fans on your video cards as well.
It sounds like a hardware issue.
Go onto a Toshiba forum and see if anyone else has the
same problem.
Don't go to Windows 10 because they haven't figured out
all the drivers yet.
He agrees with Reflex about laptops and gaming.

·
Registered
777 Posts
My first thought was like Wet Beards' son's: When did you last open up the laptop and blow out the insides with canned air? If you have to pause and think about it... probably high time you or a laptop service person opened it up completely and cleaned all the dust out with air. Laptops can fill up with all kinds of nasty compared to desktops.

Also my second thought was this: RCT3 is a nasty, nasty resource hog that works your computer exponentially harder as your park gets more guests. Have you turned the graphics down as low as they can go? When it came out, my computer was reasonably fast, but when my park hit around 800 guests, it became unplayable until I turned the guests' graphics quality to the lowest possible.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I mean I understand laptops aren't meant for gaming, but hardware wise, my laptop should be totally fine. I cleaned it last April. Didn't redo the thermal paste as it was in very good shape (I open it up, which is a PITA-have to take keyboard off to access the fan), but the entire fan was cleaned out, and every other month or so I stick a vacuum to the vents, and clean them too.

This machine is "babied". There isn't a single program on it that I can't recognize (I use Process Lasso to keep an eye on EVERYTHING), and most of the time it runs smooth as a whistle.

Like right now, I'm using 8% of my CPU, which is normal considering I use Pale Moon, which is a full 64 bit browser, with hardware acceleration, and I have youtube going in the background, with two email clients open, and a handful of other tabs open. And the 8% includes other assorted windows processes too. My laptop has been running hotter lately, but I still don't understand the total overheat of RCT3. I didn't think to turn the graphics down honestly. I do have a fairly decent graphics card in this laptop, so it might be the cause of the overheating. I use to render drawings in AutoCAD on this computer, and do some pretty advance renderings in Photoshop too, and this was less then a year ago, and the computer was still zippy throughout the whole thing. I do have 16GB of ram, 250mb are recommended for RCT3. So I have 32x the amount required for this game.

My BF is a computer geek tho, and he told me to leave it on the kitchen table for him and he'll work on it when I head to work, and that I could play on his system for now...

·
Registered
22 Posts
There could be a problem with the fan inside your laptop so you should need to use a high end or should I say better cooling pad since I was experiencing the same issue before.
My older HP was getting very hot to the touch on the top and bottom of the processor, my internal fan was running all the time, not any more.
My laptop stays on all day, I am an artist and have several programs running at the same time. I use a larger battery so I was concerned about the ergonomic design (elevation), Cooler Master NotePal X-Slim Ultra-Slim Laptop Cooling Pad is very comfortable, fits my 15" laptop just perfect.
The plastic seems very durable, and I appreciate the aluminium screen(grate)for its great air flow, the fan does blow up onto the bottom of the laptop. No sliding problem with the rubber feet on the bottom of my laptop.
Really quiet fan, even when I keep it on high.
I would highly recommend this product.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts