Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a petty matter; one tag more or less doesn't matter, but the jangling of the tags annoys me.

I am going to pop rivet her dog license to her collar. To get a license the town has to have a copy of her current rabies vaccination, so having a license should be proof of vaccination. Isn't the rabies tag redundant?

Of course the town is open much less than half the time, but she has a tag with our telephone number. Shouldn't that be adequate?

In 23 years of dog ownership we have never needed any tags, but I don't want to press my luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
We have a dog here with a rabies vaccination that expired after we renewed his annual license, so the license is not proof of vaccination. (He is medically unable to get a new vaccination so he is basically under permanent house arrest/quarantine.)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have a dog here with a rabies vaccination that expired after we renewed his annual license, so the license is not proof of vaccination. (He is medically unable to get a new vaccination so he is basically under permanent house arrest/quarantine.)
Here they won't renew the license unless the vaccine is good through the end of the license.
Also, they waive the rabies vaccine if a vet certifies it is medically necessary; though that won't help if he bites anyone.
Yeah, I see that; a license doesn't prove vaccination...

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
The rabies number use to be a vet submitted registered form of Identification to that individual dog and it's owners information ????????? is the rabies number on each tag not used that way now?? I know for fact doing volunteer walking at the pound that they never checked the tags to locate the owners. I asked them why are there so many dogs here with tags, did their owners not want them? and they told me straight up they don't bother checking for tags or trying to look them up.. (sad)

PS adding... I have their tags on my key ring... with me all the time when we are out and about off property

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was able to use the rabies tag to return a lost dog to its owner within ten minutes of finding it because I was able to call the vet instead of waiting for Monday morning when city hall opened. Mind you the vet was in a city over 300 km away from where I found the dog.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rabies number use to be a vet submitted registered form of Identification to that individual dog and it's owners information ????????? is the rabies number on each tag not used that way now?? I know for fact doing volunteer walking at the pound that they never checked the tags to locate the owners. I asked them why are there so many dogs here with tags, did their owners not want them? and they told me straight up they don't bother checking for tags or trying to look them up.. (sad)

PS adding... I have their tags on my key ring... with me all the time when we are out and about off property
That goes beyond sad; that is tragic and almost malicious. Did they give a reason?

Presumably they don't check microchips either. We haven't gotten around to doing that, but were planning on it.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
That goes beyond sad; that is tragic and almost malicious. Did they give a reason?

Presumably they don't check microchips either. We haven't gotten around to doing that, but were planning on it.
the front of the pound (office staff) and the back of the pound (animal control/kennel people) operations having no communications and not caring to have communications. Good system in place (overwhelmed and understaffed) with the wrong people for no one using it.. Would be the same with the microchips... great system if people use them

·
Registered
62 Posts

That is such blatant theft! They know the dog has an owner and refuse to contact them then turn around and sell them. Such bull.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I had a dog nip (I mean nip, not bite) someOne once and they called the cops. When the cops saw the tag and the (lack of) seriousness of the bite, they were satisfied. Could be worth having on your dog.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
My dogs only wear a tag with my contact info when we are out. I keep their rabies tag and licenses on my key ring so they are always with me. Copies of rabies certificates are kept in the glove box of my car.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Does your state not accept a medical waiver for Rabies?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
In some places you legally have to have a rabies tag on them. I've never heard of anybody stopped and asked to present said tags, though.

My in-laws actually put electrical tape on their dogs' tags. Stops the jangling.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Mine wear whatever tags they have because really what's one more. However, Pepper tend to lose her tags from time to time and I've never bothered to replace anything except the ID tag, which is now a boomerang tag. Nobody has ever stopped us to check their tags.

I like the idea of electrical tape to stop the jangling though. They also sell a little pouch to keep all the tags in on the collar to stop the noise, but I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I can't stand tags and their noise. Both of my dogs have one tag on their collar, if that (they each have a collar with their name and my number embroidered on it that have no tags). So any license and rabies tags are floating around the house somewhere (read: lost in my study).

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I haven't been given a rabies tag for years. I have to send in a certificate from the vet's office when I renew the license. Dogs have a couple tags each but the ID tag has a rubber bumper so they don't jangle or get dinged up. County offers a permanent tag with multiple numbers so I could go down to a single tag if I like.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I leave all of the tags on her collar because that way I never misplace them just in case they're needed. I don't mind the jingling and it helps warn the critters when she's on a hunt through the bushes when we're out on the trails.

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
I carry them with me at all times in case they bite someone. Guess it's because of the experience at the pound that they didn't care to look...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts