Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two nights ago a friend decided to make a life change,long story. Anyway she had a litter of 3 Chinese crested pups,she was going to post them on Craigslist but I talked her out of it. And I rallyed some friends and we took them in. So I have been reading and trying to learn about them. The little boy I have will go to the vet today for a check up and needed puppy care. I was wondering if anyone here has Crested and if they could share info with me. I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answers for. Such as how often should I put lotion on and do they need a feed with a higher fat content or should I supplement with fish oil?

I haven't been here in a while life has been very busy for us. We adopted out the female lab we had originally fostered. Our male lab is currently with a handler getting ready for AKC field trails. And just normal life stuff.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Pai is a (reputable) Crestie breeder and knows TONS about the breed, I'll see if I can get her in here for you.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be SUPER. I know this has worms,especially tape so I gotta get that taken care of today and he's had no vaccines so gotta do that. I went yesterday and bought him some sweaters as he was just wearing a sock and it made him look so sad. He is quite the little rascal though.

For right now we're calling him Chuppie.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So we just got back from the vet,all was well. He has every type of worm except heartworms,so we got the meds. to take care of that. He got lots of attention at the office though. He is definately a conversation starter. One lady made a remark that he had the worsest case of mange she had ever seen,when I told her he was not suppose to have fur,she said oh he must have came from bad stock..LOL

·
Registered
55 Posts
Some people have just never seen a Chinese crested before. I am in love with them myself, but then..I love the furless animals. I wish I could offer up more advice but they are just a fascination of mine, I have no ownership experience.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't feel bad my vet could offer no real care advice other than he's gonna need lotion and of course the normal offer of Science Diet and to keep a sweater on him. :( I'm hoping Pai would pop in.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
Oh man, I'm not a breeder lol! I'm just a breeder-groupie. I'm flattered by the complement though!

A lot of hairless dog people use fish oil supplements, it's really good for the skin. I personally only use lotion once or twice a week, but it depends on the individual's skin type (some dogs have dry skin, and need it more than others).

A good Crestie forum is here, there are several breeders on there and lots of threads about common issues in the breed that could help you out.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I feed Nature's Variety Prairie to my gals. Icesis' breeder feeds ProPlan and Nea's uses Wellness. Unless he has some kind of health issue or is doing poorly on regular food, I wouldn't feed different to him than I would to any other pup. =)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Have you had any luck with your Crested? How is he doing? Any information you can offer? I am now in the position you were. I am fixing to be a Crested mommy and do not know much about the breed, like what is best to feed them, bath and lotion them in etc.

·
Registered
631 Posts
This is a super old thread.. The OP hasn't been on since June. I have a rescue crested. Lot of crested people suggest grain free or raw. The breed can have allergy issues and their skin seems to fare better- less acne and blackheads. Are you getting a puff or a hairless? What would you like to know?

·
Registered
10 Posts
She is what looks to me like a hairy hairless. I am only going by what I have read on the internet. She bacically has hair everywhere except on her body. She has like a mohawk going down the back of her heck onto her upper back.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Sounds like a moderate hairless. Hairless cresties can be true hairless dogs that have no body hair, minimal to no furnishings.. Moderately hairless often have better furnishings, some body hair often in a spine mohawk and bum fur, and hairy hairless that can be near as hairy as a puff, but have a more sparse coat than a puff.

Not always, but often in the conformation ring the hairless dogs that are winning are very hairy hairless as the extra hair has a tendency to give them very floofy furnishings. They drip mane they have so much etc. Sadly though, those dogs need a load of grooming and tons of hair removal pre show. A lot of people use hair removal cream on their bodies. considering Arson's stubbly bum is poking me at the moment though I shaved it a few days ago... I do kind of understand why..

Might need to be a member to see the pics, but pictures on the different hair amounts on a hairless crestie Reference Pics.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hair on one's tush. Upper thighs and near his tail he has thicker hair than anywhere else. Sides are pretty much bare.

Zoey has hair on her bum. She looks like she may be moderately hairless.

He was advertised on kijiji (like CL, but more popular in Canada).. 13 months old needed a new home. Best friend thought I should contact as I've been interested in cresteds for years. I figured 100s of people might contact. I mentioned we did dog sports.. I got an email, we talked, we met. Was a byb moving him along. I took him for free and upgraded his life. Everything is a seemingly new experience for him. He had a 6x6 pen outside with 5 other cresteds and a gsd pup. And indoors only the kitchen. He was an indoor peer.. so he was bellybanded indoors all the time. Got him home with a penis infection. He's already blossomed a ton. Is learning to frolic with other dogs..

How long until Zoey comes home?

Arson day he came home

What moderate hair can look like with no grooming

3 days home

2 weeks home

3 weeks home, starting to like my cocker boy

3 weeks home frolicking

·
Registered
174 Posts
I really don't know what it is, but I am always drawn to this breed! My husband thinks they are funny looking, I think they are beautiful! :p

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Some people have just never seen a Chinese crested before. I am in love with them myself, but then..I love the furless animals. I wish I could offer up more advice but they are just a fascination of mine, I have no ownership experience.
When I brought my hairless rat to the vet the first time I had to convince the vet that he was meant to be bald...

Anyway, Chinese Cresteds are in my top four for next breed! I have a show breeder's card on my fridge just in case haha! Love hairless pets, I want a sphynx cat too.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts