Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had their dog break a canine tooth? Mine broke hers in half and she had a pulpectomy to save the tooth. We have to go back next month to see if it's okay, if not she will either need a root canal or extraction.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Where's wvasko? Isn't his dog, Pierce, getting a canine removed soon?

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
i know of some police dogs who have had broken canines. These dogs have had root canals done and then titanium caps put on. Pretty scary to see silver teeth peeking out through their "smile". These dogs have gone back to work and have had great success with their dental work. Most owners opt to have them removed due to cost. Good luck with your dog and keep us posted on the outcome.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I owned one that broke off two and had to have both extracted. At different times. Not a good surgery, one I would avoid if I could.

I have also had one that broke canines that we left and monitored. That dog died of cancer before the teeth became a problem.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
i know of some police dogs who have had broken canines. These dogs have had root canals done and then titanium caps put on. Pretty scary to see silver teeth peeking out through their "smile". These dogs have gone back to work and have had great success with their dental work. Most owners opt to have them removed due to cost. Good luck with your dog and keep us posted on the outcome.
I've seen that! It is SO cool, but probably not affordable for a family pet.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Sometimes a root canal at $3000 for a family pet is not afforable. Cheaper to go back to the dog's vet and have them remove the tooth. Lady I work with had the titanium cap used on her dog. He broke it off doing bite work. He broke it off in practice. Lucky for her she never had to test to see if all her money was well spent. Dog looks pretty cool with his silver tooth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts