Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am brand new to these forums. I have posted a welcome thread in the new posters forum. I am also posting here in the hopes of some breed input.

7 years ago we adopted a 2yo mix breed from the local animal shelter. Her name is Zelda and she is a very beloved member of our family. Over the years we have guessed at her breed, every now and then we see a dog who looks like her on the internet or while driving. She is loyal, sweet and loving. She is also completely neurotic but only in the cutest way possible! She loves to bark, it is a sharp piercing bark that even hurts her own ears. She never bales or howls. She is 36 pounds. Her fur is so soft and surprisingly thick for such a short haired dog. She sheds a lot, pretty much year round. She is highly food motivated and would do anything at all for a treat. She has a very high prey drive. She is a powerful chewer and can go through toys & bones just as fast as a much larger dog. She is not a cuddler but does like to sleep near people. She loves to burrow under blankets. She hates the water & rain but absolutely loves the snow.

Some of the guesses we have had are, blue heeler mix, beagle mix, bluetick hound mix. My dh calls her his mutt hound (he spoils her like crazy). Anyone here have any input? :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I think I'll say Beagle/ACD. And something in her face looks Dachshund-ish to me, but I don't know how dominant the short legs are in Doxie mixes, if it's possible for a long-legged dog to have some Doxie or not.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Beagle x Blue Tick Coonhound would be my guess. I think the angle of the picture is causing the doxie-ish muzzle. If it's not, I'm changing my guess to Coonhound x doxie.

Either way, she is too cute! What are you feeding her? Her coat is absolutely gorgeous, the shine is stunning.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I'm going to say beagle/terrier (and the terrier could definitely be daschund). She shares a lot of characteristics with my dog that is often thought to have some ACD in her. But like my girl her bone structure looks so much lighter than an ACD. And the ticking can come from from beagles. It's just less common in showing lines, because they breed for all white feet. In working lines there is apparently more variation...or that's my understanding when I was looking into this for my own dog. :)

Some beagles with heavy ticking:

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
My first thought was Beagle/dachshund.
I agree with this one. Looks a LOT like a bluetick beagle, but that head/face is screaming doxie.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies! I have added a few more pictures. She loves having her picture taken! My phone camera is pretty awful but it is what I snap the most pics with.

We were feeding her Bil Jac up until a couple of months ago which she absolutely loved, but after finding dogfoodadvisor and realizing it wasn't very highly rated (even though very expensive) we switched to Newman's organic. Her coat has gotten even softer since then. The vet always gushes over her soft coat. When we first adopted her it was very coarse and dull. We do also cook for her, she often gets meat and veggies as a full or partial replacement meal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Doxie was another breed we often considered, but she is somewhat short bodied and stout, she always sits or curls up for pictures and likes to look directly at the camera so getting a body picture of her standing is nearly impossible!

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Btw, she is extremely cute. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks! We think she is pretty cute too! :)

As an aside: The rabbit in the picture is Padua, we have had him for 5 years now. He is 7, we adopted "rescued" him when he was 2. It took Zelda awhile to understand the idea of keeping a rabbit as a pet but she eventually got used to the idea (the outdoor ones are still fair game though). We are very careful with her and the rabbit but she has a good grasp of the "leave it" command and understands Padua is under our protection, so occasionally they get to spend a bit of closely supervised time together. For his part Padua loves Zelda, seems to have no idea that Zelda is a hound dog. Padua is a senior now but he still gets excited whenever he sees Zelda.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts