Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi....my dog loves the Raw Soup Marrow Bones you buy in the Supermarket -- he eats all the marrow out and then chomps on the bone --

My question is -- he won't eat dinner that night after he's eaten the marrow -- does anyone know anything about this marrow -- I've researched online about it but I get conflicting views.

Is it good for dogs -- why do you think he won't eat after -- do you think it is filling or do you think it bothers his stomach --

Thanks for any advice...

Donna:p

·
Banned
221 Posts
Advice on raw marrow bones: Avoid them.

Marrow is mostly fat. Thats probably why your dog feels full after eating marrow. I think you are probably talking about a beef marrow bone in which case the bone is very dense and hard on the teeth. I have known dogs who broke, chipped, cracked and fractured teeth while chewing marrow bones. Also knawing on a marrow bone is like rubbing sand paper on your dog's teeth.

If you want to let your dog eat the marrow, it could be good for him. Take the bone away when he starts chewing on the bone.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My dog has 3 or 4 used up raw marrow bones sitting around the house. When she's in the mood she'll grab a bone and gnaw on it for a little while then leaves it. I like to put peanut butter in one once in a while and use it like a kong. Marrow is very rich so it's possible that he's just not hungry afterwards. My girl used to get the runs the next day because of the richness, but had no problem eating her next meal.

Just be careful, some dogs will sometimes get the bone stuck on the lower jaw. I think the longer ones are safer in that department. I never allow a marrow bone without supervision.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. How about Blue Buffalo Dog Food? any knowledge on that brand??:D

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Blue Buffallo is one of the best foods available at PetSmart. If you have an independant dog food store, check it out. Otherwise Blue is decent. Which formula?

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have used Blue Buffalo for awhile now and Bailey has done well on it. I use the weight management formula. I am trying out Chicken Soup dog food now, to see how they do on that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts