Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone...I apologize for the long post.

My fiance and I adopted an 8 month old mix 2 weeks ago. We knew going into it that she is extremely shy, she has been in 6 different homes in her short life. At this point Bailey(that's her name) is struggling a lot with the change. She is very frightened of my fiance and I, but some days she seems more comfortable than others. Sometimes she will eat when we are in the same room, but some days she won't. She rarely takes treats from us, and she is most comfortable in a corner with her back shoved against the wall.

We try to get her to spend time in the same room with us, by closing the doors and blocking off the kitchen, but we don't pressure her to be any closer than that. We treat her whenever she is comfortable enough to take any. We alternate feeding her, he feeds her one meal and I feed her the other.

We aren't quite sure how to proceed. We have read a ton of articles and some say to give her space, some say that we should feed her everything by hand. We don't want to overwhelm her any more than she is already is, and we know it will take time, but we would love some suggestions about what has worked for other people.

We walk her 3 or 4 times a day. She doesn't enjoy being outside. We live in a quiet neighborhood and have a fenced in back yard, she will bolt towards the house whenever we get near the stairs of the front or back yard. We try to take her on the same general path to get her used to the sounds and the smells of the neighborhood. She sleeps in a crate in our room with the doors open so she is free to leave if she wants. She loves being in her crate and she doesn't enjoy getting out of it in the morning.

We aren't sure what her breed is, the shelter told us that she is likely german shepard and american bulldog. She is 35lbs and shouldn't grow to be any larger, so we assume there is something small in her breed also. We both believe in positive reinforcement only, but we have been confining her to a space with us when we are home. It's the size of a living room and dining room combined, and we don't force her to interact with us. We only carry her if she absolutely refuses to move out of a space and we need to take her outside to go to the bathroom. She shows no signs of aggression so far, but seems very shut down. She hasn't wagged her tail, she doesn't show enjoyment in any activity so far, she cowers when we walk in her general direction and she is startled easily if we drop something or there is a loud noise. She is house trained, she came to us that way.

Thank you for reading my post and for any suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It's only been two weeks. My dog was the same way, and it was 6 months before he wagged his tail. You just need to give her space and rain treats down on her for every little thing. Did she look at you? Toss a treat her way! Did she take one step in your direction? Treat! Did she respond, in any way, to her name? Treat, treat, treat! Don't wait for her to come to you, make simply being in your home super rewarding.

ETA: You're on the right path with not forcing interaction. Always make it her choice, always give her a way to escape. It's okay if she hides under the table. I'll take a hiding dog over a lunging, snapping dog.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Oh poor little thing... so many people gave up on her... no surprise she has some trust issues.... be patient.... and ur right- don't force anything. Loads and loads of treats

1 - 3 of 3 Posts