Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 11-year old male lab-beagle mix is exhibiting some strange behavior at only one area of our home. We have a detached rec room that I use as my office and he is really antsy when he is in the office with me. He paces around, comes to stare at me, never settles down. We used to think that he didn't like being trapped in the office by himself, but even when I am with him (working at my desk), he paces around and around. He is a foodie, and if he has a complex treat to enjoy, he will work on that for a bit and then resume pacing. He doesn't tend to work on chew treats, though, and will take those with him later when he leaves the space.

We moved to this house in early 2020, just before the pandemic, and the office space is newly-constructed. Since our move, he has been experiencing separation anxiety, which we are slowly working with him on with a professional trainer. The only notable thing about the space is that it is separate from our house, so he can't monitor the UPS man or anyone else coming and going from the front door. Otherwise, it is just a normal room, with lots of comfortable places where he could relax.

Is there anything I can do to get him more acclimated and comfortable in the space so he can relax when he is with me in there?

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
166 Posts
My 11-year old male lab-beagle mix is exhibiting some strange behavior at only one area of our home. We have a detached rec room that I use as my office and he is really antsy when he is in the office with me. He paces around, comes to stare at me, never settles down. We used to think that he didn't like being trapped in the office by himself, but even when I am with him (working at my desk), he paces around and around. He is a foodie, and if he has a complex treat to enjoy, he will work on that for a bit and then resume pacing. He doesn't tend to work on chew treats, though, and will take those with him later when he leaves the space.
We moved to this house in early 2020, just before the pandemic, and the office space is newly-constructed. Since our move, he has been experiencing separation anxiety, which we are slowly working with him on with a professional trainer. The only notable thing about the space is that it is separate from our house, so he can't monitor the UPS man or anyone else coming and going from the front door. Otherwise, it is just a normal room, with lots of comfortable places where he could relax.
Is there anything I can do to get him more acclimated and comfortable in the space so he can relax when he is with me in there?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It sounds like his issue is not being able to monitor what is going on outside where people come and go. I find it interesting in that particular breed mix, but each dog has their own disposition. I would expect this more in a breed like a German Shepherd or a breed that is bred to watch and guard (high defense drive breeds).

When you are in the office, is the dog free to leave and if he is, can he check the front door (or whatever door people come to)? If he is free to leave, does he leave when you are there?

If he is not free to leave, try setting it up (if physically possible) so he can leave and check the from door. See if that helps at all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like his issue is not being able to monitor what is going on outside where people come and go. I find it interesting in that particular breed mix, but each dog has their own disposition. I would expect this more in a breed like a German Shepherd or a breed that is bred to watch and guard (high defense drive breeds).

When you are in the office, is the dog free to leave and if he is, can he check the front door (or whatever door people come to)? If he is free to leave, does he leave when you are there?

If he is not free to leave, try setting it up (if physically possible) so he can leave and check the from door. See if that helps at all.
I've tried allowing him to leave freely, and usually what happens is that he lingers restlessly between the main house and the office, which is a detached unit in our backyard. He cannot monitor the front door from either the office or the backyard.

We have an indoor cat, so my wife doesn't want a doggy door. And, ideally, I'd prefer the dog to be able to relax in the office space, but if he's always listening for the front door, there may be no solution besides keeping him in the main house.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts