Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Anxious 6 month old 🤔

Tags
fear phase
604 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  DaySleepers 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have a 6 month old working type Cocker Spaniel who is currently displaying some unusual behavior which I cannot figure out. Up until 2 days ago he was an incredibly confident and sociable young pup but just changed over night like someone had flicked a switch? He’s well socialized with doggy friends and a regular dog walker but now he’s incredibly quiet at home and very anxious, laying in his bed, not want to play with toys, not playing with the cats like usual. He’s eating and drinking okay but just seems to be terrified of everything, sat trembling all the time. I’ve read about ‘fear phases’, do you think this could just be a phase?
Thank you 😊

#2 ·
With such a drastic, sudden change, taking him to the vet to rule out a physical issue would be my first thought.

#4 ·
It could be a phase- but that doesn't mean, by any stretch, that it can just be waited out and it'll blow over. (I'm sure that's not what you meant, I just wanted to clarify) You said he was been well socialized with doggy friends and a walker. Is that all he gets? Socialization is not just meeting a a wide variety of people and dogs- although that is certainly important. He needs socialization to places, sounds, things, activities, and more. This graphic was shared with me, I found it a helpful visual:

However, you may still want to do further tests, try to identify any change in his environment (such as a visitor in your home, weather change, even a new crate or bed... literally anything) that could be upsetting him, or speak to a behaviorist. This is a very drastic change.

#5 ·
That's a pretty drastic change. Although fear phases can cause pups to be afraid of "weird" things or things they were previously fine with, it does not generally cause them to be fearful of existing in their own home, or cause them to not want to play.

#6 ·
I agree with Lillith. While fear periods are definitely a real thing, this sounds extreme for that to be the only thing going on here. What was the vet's take when the tests came back normal? What did the blood tests cover? Did the exam include careful full-body palpitation and manipulation to check for pain anywhere?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.