Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all the different types of antlers what have you found works best for your pup? Theres moose, elk, deer,etc. Split, whole, just the burr? I read that deer is to hard and moose is to soft. Have you found one has more of an aroma to keep their interest? Thanks everyone

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
A lot of that depends on the size of the dog and the power of their chewing. A small dog with a soft mouth would need a small, split piece of deer antler. A large, determined chewer would need something much larger and harder.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
A lot of that depends on the size of the dog and the power of their chewing. A small dog with a soft mouth would need a small, split piece of deer antler. A large, determined chewer would need something much larger and harder.
Yeah, this. A 20lb dog who is a light chewer is going to need a different antler than a 90lb dog who is a power chewer. The split antlers are generally best for lighter chewers. The full antlers are better for tough chewers.

Not sure which is the most enticing. One of my dogs loves antlers while the other doesn't care about them at all. I've tried a couple kinds and I haven't noticed a difference in which are preferred.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I can compare deer and elk for you...

Deer are harder, elk has more scent. As everyone said, the choice of antler depends on the dog and each particular antler. Deer tend to be long and thinner, elk can come long and thin (but thicker than deer) or short and really thick. Look at the ends and you can see how much bone vs marrow. If your dog is a heavy chewer, get one with thicker bone. The burrs are the hardest part of the antler.

Make sure the antler is size appropriate. Giving a small or medium antler to an 80 lb dog will create risk of splintering.

Also be aware that antlers come in different grades from A to D. Grade A antlers are freshest and have more scent, they're heavier because they contain more water and tend to be softer, they're the safest antlers to give your dog. As the grades decrease the antlers are older, drier etc. Grade D antlers are likely to be old, cracked and chalky looking...most likely to splinter and cause tooth damage. I would not give a grade C or D to a dog. BTW if you see them called Economy Antlers...they're C or D.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I can compare deer and elk for you...

Deer are harder, elk has more scent. As everyone said, the choice of antler depends on the dog and each particular antler. Deer tend to be long and thinner, elk can come long and thin (but thicker than deer) or short and really thick. Look at the ends and you can see how much bone vs marrow. If your dog is a heavy chewer, get one with thicker bone. The burrs are the hardest part of the antler.

Make sure the antler is size appropriate. Giving a small or medium antler to an 80 lb dog will create risk of splintering.

Also be aware that antlers come in different grades from A to D. Grade A antlers are freshest and have more scent, they're heavier because they contain more water and tend to be softer, they're the safest antlers to give your dog. As the grades decrease the antlers are older, drier etc. Grade D antlers are likely to be old, cracked and chalky looking...most likely to splinter and cause tooth damage. I would not give a grade C or D to a dog. BTW if you see them called Economy Antlers...they're C or D.
That's super helpful information! I never knew they came in different grades.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's super helpful information! I never knew they came in different grades.
I knew it, but forgot, because I've been buying from the same seller on amazon for awhile. There are several on there that have the Grade A whole elk antlers. I usually order Jim Hodges. They are pricey, but they sometimes have deals on a 2-pack.

·
Registered
278 Posts
How long do you keep an antler before deciding it is too old? My dog is almost 11 lbs & she likes the split antlers. She gets most of the marrow from split antlers pretty easily - but then the rest of antler she still chews on from time to time but never actually chews hard enough to get through the thicker part.

I have basically been getting rid of them at the approximately 1 year point (from purchase). But I was wondering how long others usually keep their antlers. (Obviously, if it was a choking hazard, then the point that it gets taken away is easier to determine!)

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I keep them until the dogs are no longer interested in them, or they get too small.

·
Registered
25 Posts
That is helpful about the grades. I didn't know that either.

My dogs are power chewers, but they have no interest in whole antler. Split, and they're all too interested. I have to limit chewing time. My experience has been different than the OP's info. I've only bought moose (split) once. The dogs were less interested in it, but it held up better than deer or elk. I've decided deer is useless for my girls. It doesn't last long enough to be worth the cost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts