Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a boxer mix pup, which was abandoned in the alley. She now has been in my yard for 2 months, eats twice a day, sleeps on the porch, has plenty of toys, water, etc. I want to get her to the vet for shots, etc., but she will NOT let me pet her whatsoever. THis has been going on for two months, and I sure want to fully take care of her, and not just feed her. Everyone says "Give it some time" I put flea meds on her neck once, but it hasn't happened since and needs to.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Hello & welcome to df. I don't know how to help you. How old do you think she is. Have you tried sitting with her, not looking at her. Have some treats & throw them near her, closer to you with each throw if she comes closer. When she's within reach, hold out a treat in your hand. Don't look at her but keep holding the treat, maybe she'll try & eat it. Talk softly to her as she approaches.

Or, give her her food bowl when you normally feed her, & each time have the bowl closer to you as you sit on the ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. The puppy, Bernadette, does eat treats out of my hand but will not allow me to pet her whatsoever. When I feed her, the bowl is close to me, but she grabs her food in mouthfuls and runs away to eat it. She is constantly cooed at by me, giving her high praise always. It just seems 2 months is an awlful long time for the dog to "come around." I want to keep for without a doubt, but I want to get her to the vet for her shots, dips, etc. Any advice? My thanks!! I am at 2 months and counting. I so want to pet and hold her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My lil pup is about 3 months old, and is scared of any little noise. She eats regulary at the same scheduled times each day. She is skittish to be sure, and receives treats after she eats and has her bowel movements. It has been 2 months now and the patterns are still the same. A friend brought over her very playful dog, and my little puppy went crazy, even crapping on herself and hiding in a corner of the carport until the other dog left. She will eat treats out of my hand, but if I try to pet her snout, she will run away.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Check out the website www.fearfuldogs.com for information and assistance in desensitizing and conditioning your puppy...she is going to need extensive socialization and behaviour modification to become a safe and happy adult.
Does she have to live outside? More time in the house with humans may help. You also should seriously consider speaking to a behaviourist about this situation. She's spent two months lacking any socializiation, this does not just happen in time..it requires active participation on your part and an understanding of how to help her overcome her fears without making them worse.
You also may need to face the idea that she MAY never be the cuddle puppy you wish for...she's been abandoned and neglected and most likely had only bad experiences during her initial socialization window (6=15 weeks of age) so overcoming these early obstacles, while not impossible, is going to be a long hard road.

Oh, and don't start out trying to pet her snout/muzzle area..this is a very sensitive area and even well socialized dogs often don't like hands near there....work on stroking her chest, sides, and under her chin while she takes the treats from you. Keep it short and sweet and do it ONLY when she is taking food from you. If you can, try hand feeding her her meals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts