Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a dog that developed a wheat allergy and became extremely itchy as well. Before this happened to me, I always thought that all the discussion about wheat allergies etc in dogs was kind of hype. It took me a long time to figure out by observing when she was worse and changing foods etc to figure it out. Once I switched her to grain free, she became somewhat better but it took about 3 months for serious improvement and 6 months for total control. One cue was that every time my kids dropped some quantities of cereal or bread for her to get into, she had flare ups. 6 months on grain free resolved the problem. There is often a secondary component of yeast infection (first in the ears and then on the skin) with these things. The itchiest spots tend to be between the pads/toes and under the armspits, ears etc. I fell in love with the Blue Wilderness brand but you could try others. Just my experience. Good luck, it's hard to watch them so uncomfortable. Don't let the vet get you on steriods without serious dietary and other measures first because the steriods really damage their health long term.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts